Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is high def possible on PC through hd cable box

• Please log in to reply

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Any assistance is appreciated.

I want to build a custom PC that is going to be used as a TV/computer in a master bedroom. The television signal is Comcast HD through a HD cable box. I am buying a 24" monitor that has an HDMI port and HDCP capable. But now I am reading in a 6 month old Maximum PC mag that only OEM builders have the licensing for HD support; that store bought HD TV tuners can not decode the signal from cable boxes, only from "free over the air" straight from the wall outlet HD signals. I am also slightly confused by cards that say they only play ATSC or QAM or QUM. I also understand that you can buy, I apologize if I'm saying it wrong, but you can buy "ReadyCard", that allows you to plug the HD cable card straight into the PC for decoding.

So my question is what works, what doesn't and what am I looking for.

Any support, advice or direction to reading material would be appreciated.

Advertisements