Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What kind of computer memory

• Please log in to reply

George Jr.

George Jr.

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have installed a used Gateway Intel (El Paso) 1.5 ghz motherboard, CPU, heat sink and fan in my old computer case. I am unable to find exactly what gateway part number I have from Gateway's website. There is a number on the mobo (A AA63931-306) This has been no help. Anyway my cdrom and dvd burner work slower and generate errors in data transfer than they did with the previous 500mhz cpu. I used a speed checker on the cd's. The 40x CD's are running at 14 to18x. I am using two PC133 dimm's which is what Gateway says to. The dimm's are a matched set. When I try to add another PC133 dimm the BIOS does not recognize it regardless of which slot it is in. The 3rd dimm has the same capacity but different construction. This mobo has a 400mhz FSB. Isn't PC133 slow for a 400mhz FSB? Is there a critical memory construction for this mobo? Help

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Take out the two modules and try to run the computer only with the third module installed. what happens?

George Jr.

George Jr.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
As suggested I removed the two 256MB ncp PC133 single sided dimm's and installed one 128MB yc PC133 double sided dimm. The computer would not post. I then turned off the power and added a second 128MB yc PC133 double sided dimm. When I turned on the power strip to the computer the computer went on without pushing the start button on the case. This is strange for an atx computer. In my original statement I said that the 3rd dimm was 256MB. This is incorrect the #3 dimm is 128MB. George Jr.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link. It seems that this particular motherboard is quite sensitive to the type of modules that you use. Try to follow the instrucions in the table.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Try and only have the doubble sidded memmory in the computer.

Some older models even though they say thy support the single sidded memory the only recognize half of the ram or maybe say ok but don't work well.

I have installed a used Gateway Intel (El Paso) 1.5 ghz motherboard, CPU, heat sink and fan in my old computer case.

Tell me does the bios recognize all the hardware correctly? Besides the fan, what did you move to the new computer?

What O.S. do you have?

George Jr.

George Jr.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The mobo, CPU, Heat sink, fan, were moved to the old working computer I had two 256MB single sided dimm's from my colection of ram that worked. Other dimms did not work. Part of this thread shows a gateway support page that says this mobo is sensitive to ram construction.

Part of my first inquiry has remained unanswered. My CD and DVD burner are operating at 35% of their rated speed with data transfer errors that make them unusable.

I can not find what mobo I have because I don't have a computer S/N because I don't have the Gateway case. The only marking that I can find on the mobo that could be identification is A AA63931-306

The Bios says my mobo has a 400MHz FSB. The CPU is a P4 1.5GHZ. The four Intel (El Paso) 400MHz FSB mobo's I found on the Gateway website have CPU's faster than my 1.5 GHz

I'm trying to find what I have, Why the CD and DVD are working poorly. My thinking is there is something screwing up the buss. I think it is the ram I am using but it is the only ram I have that works on the mobo. If I must have a detailed discription when I buy new ram I need to know what it is beyond PC133

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Go to this link and download everest. This will give you a list of your hardware and you can pot it so maybe we can figure out a way to help you.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
What operating system?
Did you do a repair install of the operating system(If XP) or a reinstall if 98?
When changing motherboards this is necassary becuase of driver issuses, also because you don't know what board it is exactly I guess you did not load the chipset drivers, this could effect the optical drives.

As vally said try Everest to see what you got

George Jr.

George Jr.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I'm using Windows 98 SE I reformated the HD and installed the accessories. I didn't use any of the onboard stuff because I don't have the mobo drivers. This is an off line computer that I am trying to use for video capture on to DVD. I can't do that because of the data transfer errors.
George, Jr.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
You can burn everest to a cd and run it on the Gateway so that we can have more information about the computer because now we are a bit short of information.

I didn't use any of the onboard stuff because I don't have the mobo drivers.

What onboard stuff didn't you use?
Did you disable them from the bios?

Advertisements

George Jr.

George Jr.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I downloaded Everest to CD and took it to the problem computer. I have an Intel HAVRE D845HV motherboard. With this info I went to the Intel website and found a "chipset software instalation utility" INFIST_ENU.Exe This allowed Window98 SE to recognize the onboard chips specifically the buss controller. I may be on the correct track but there is a long way to go. The CD drives still corrupt data.

PC133 memory is correct because it has a real clock that is 133 MHz with a 400 MHz FSB. The overclock icon in Everest identifies the dimm's as: 256 MB PC 133 SDRAM (3.0-3-3-6@ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-4@83 MHz)
dimm #2 256 MB PC 133 SDRAM (3.0-3-3-6@ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5@100MHz)
I don't know what the numbers mean but the dimm's are supositly matched but the numbers are different.

Also on the Intel website I downloaded a BIOS update The program ran but didn't reboot automaticly I turned it off then on. Error message said it did NOT update. The readme said there are several descriptive error messages but I didn't get an error message other than it didn't update. This motherboard is getting closer to the garbage can every day.

George, Jr.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Is sounds like your problem is caused by the lack of mobo drivers. It would be well worth it to try to find what model(s) of Gateway this board was used in and see if you can't get drivers for win98. But they may not be available, you may need to switch to win2000 or XP to get them. Also 512mb of memory is plenty for any of these operating systems and win98 can only see 512mb.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Is there a chance you can copy the everest data on the computer and post it here. You can copy it to the note pad and use a floppy to move it to another computer.
There just seems to be something that is missing to pin point the problem plus with put more detail it is a bit hard to look for drivers.
What devices does the device manager not recognize?

George Jr.

George Jr.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Everest can generate a huge report. Please tell me what should be included.
George Jr.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
In Everest go to Report -> Quick report - Summary