Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 says that i have no or low virtual memory

• Please log in to reply

dlt111658

dlt111658

• Pip
  • 5 posts
when i turn my system on and windows 2000 says (loading your personal settings) it tells me that my system has no virtual memory or has low virtual memory. it then displays a box that tells how to enlarge vm, but will not go into windows 2000. it will go back to the screen that says (loading your personal settings) and the cycle continues. PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Since I cant get into windows I cant enlarge my VM. I have tryed safe mode and all the others including last known good config. but nothing has worked. I f you can help please give step by step instructions.

Edited by dlt111658, 27 January 2008 - 11:46 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
that's a crazy idea which I never tried, but you have nothing to lose and no damage can be done. Remove the disk from your computer and attach it to another computer which runs XP. Click Start > Control Panel > Advanced. In the Performance part click Settings and then Advanced. Click Change in Virtual Memory. At the top you will see a list of the drives. Mark the one with the problem and then click Custom Size. Write 750 in initial size and 1500 in maximum size. Click Set > OK > Apply >OK.

If this doesn't help then I am afraid that you have to perform repair installation, or format and clean install.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How much free space is on the hard drive? You should be able to tell by booting your XP CD and starting the Recovery Console by entering R at the first opportunity.

Once you get to the command prompt, enter dir

The last line should be something like this: 12 Dir(s) 13,260,771,328 bytes free

dlt111658

dlt111658

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ztrucker thanks, but i am running win 2000

dlt111658

dlt111658

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the skeptic thanks i will try that . like you said there is nothing to lose. do you think there could be a virus on my drive. when i put my drive in an xp machine i will also run a virus program to clean my drive. THANKS to the both of you.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
dlt111658, I don't understand your response? W2K has the same Recovery Console that XP has,

Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console

so what I suggested still applies. The point being that if you are short on disk space you can use the del command to remove some junk which may help you boot.

dlt111658

dlt111658

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ztrucker thanks again. I did'nt know that. i have a 10g bite wiht 2.1g's free. so i will also give it a go. you guys are very helpful.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
2.1GB free should be plenty.

When you boot the RC, try running chkdsk /r and see if that helps.