Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes randomly/repeatedly

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Great job thats what I was looking for,,,,,,,,,, unfortunately there are some problems, you see the +12V it should be at a bare minimum of 11.6, idealy right around 12V.

This suggests the the power supply (psu) is failing and needs replaced, this very well could cause the problems you are experiancing.

Another problem is the cpu temp at 65C, this is high and could also contribute to the problems.

You need to deal with the psu first, as in replace it, then see what the temps look like and go from there. We can guide you thru this if you feel comfortable working inside the computer as well as help you find a new psu.

Problem is we need to know exactly what hardware is in your computer, can you install and run Everest?
So this computer is not a dell, HP, Compaq or any other name brand?

Advertisements

posytoesie

posytoesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The everest screen is attached...no, it's not a name brand that I can see. Should I look inside it, and if so...what info do you need, and where will I find it? And again....some of those numbers were changing.

Attached Files

Edited by posytoesie, 28 January 2008 - 10:01 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
As you can see in the everest report the +12V is up to 11.46 this is just above spec, I recommend a psu change/upgrade.

The cpu temp is down to 51C, that somewhat better but could still be better.

In Everest post a screenie of summary, this may provide enough info to recommend a psu and I will see what I can find

posytoesie

posytoesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
k, 2 attached screen shots of the everest summary...wouldn't fit on one.

Attached Thumbnails

• everest2.jpg
  • everest3.JPG

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Thats good, but its late and I have to go for tonite, if no one else responds I'll be back same time tomarrow night

posytoesie

posytoesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Great...thank you!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
This power supply would be good but as you can see it is out of stock at the moment

380W

This would be better

430W

If you want a low cost unit I have had alot of good luck with these when used in older machines but there efficiency rating is only 65% as compared to the 80% of the antec's, it also has no PFC. These features are important but not necassary and considering the age of your machine this psu should last.

thermaltake

posytoesie

posytoesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK, thanks, Doby. I'll let you guys/girls? know when I get the power supply, and when I get the XP CD. Thanks again!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome and yes please do keep us updated