Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I Wanna start building a new comp

• Please log in to reply

Canorro

Canorro

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
here the thing i wanna build a new pc with Intel processor 775 and SLI PCI-express for further upgrade i don't want to make the best computer but something that i can upgrade from time to time.
So what kind of motherboard, processor, graphic do you suggest at a good price I already have dvd-burner?
I don't really have to much money right now but i can start saving
:)
Make it future compatible please

Edited by Canorro, 27 January 2008 - 03:31 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Not going to happen. Things change so quickly in this department its untrue.
Whatever you buy, wherever you buy it from and whatever brand it is, eventually it will become considered obsolete. Fact.

The next question is, its all very well wanting SLI, but what are you going to use the computer for? What budget do you have? Do you want to overclock? What is your current system like?

Canorro

Canorro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Not going to happen. Things change so quickly in this department its untrue.
Whatever you buy, wherever you buy it from and whatever brand it is, eventually it will become considered obsolete. Fact.

The next question is, its all very well wanting SLI, but what are you going to use the computer for? What budget do you have? Do you want to overclock? What is your current system like?

I want it to be as good as a gaming computer becuse I would like to play WoW and other online MMORPG and maybe learn some graphic editing like photoshop. MY current budget its $0 but im going to start saving just wanna know how how much it will cost my check its about 1000 buck but gotta pay some stuff. m y current system :) it a 300 bucks computer i know nothing to copared to a gaming computer but hey its a start.its an emachines c2881 celeron 2.66ghz memory 512 os xp 80gb hdd +200 gb external integrated audio and graphic non pci-express(one of the thing i most want) non SATA(it have slow eide)
Just give me a good well known configuration and price then i will upgrated(buy) it part by part :)

Edited by Canorro, 28 January 2008 - 07:35 PM.

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
MMORPG's generally have very very low requirements. The requirements of WoW, compared to something like Crysis... If Crysis was a 10/10, WoW would be a 0.5/10.

MMORPG's require many many people to be able to play them, and smoothly. So they rely very much on the gameplay, rather than graphics. If the graphic demands were too high, people would either stop playing due to choppy and laggy visuals, or just never attempt to play in the first place.

WoW could probably be played smoothly on an integrated 64mb (maybe, I really don't know. I've never played it). Building a machine to run Crysis on 1600x1200 high specs is an altogether different story.

With computers, everything changes very quickly. The technology is going forward at alarming rates. A lot of people don't notice this, as they're quite happy with their 5 year old computers... "It still does what I want it to." The thing is, there is a constant stream of new reviews, new chipsets, new GPU's to be reading about.

Upgrading a computer part by part over a year or something isn't a great thing to be doing, as you might buy a motherboard with DDR2 RAM, but then by the end of the year when you get around to buying the RAM, DDR3 might be very affordable, and offer a much better performance boost (It's currently very very expensive for very little performance gain). Saving your money is the way to go.

Also, what parts will you actually be needing? Will you need a new case, Hard drive, power supply, sound card, etc? Is it a full rebuild?

Canorro

Canorro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

MMORPG's generally have very very low requirements. The requirements of WoW, compared to something like Crysis... If Crysis was a 10/10, WoW would be a 0.5/10.

MMORPG's require many many people to be able to play them, and smoothly. So they rely very much on the gameplay, rather than graphics. If the graphic demands were too high, people would either stop playing due to choppy and laggy visuals, or just never attempt to play in the first place.

WoW could probably be played smoothly on an integrated 64mb (maybe, I really don't know. I've never played it). Building a machine to run Crysis on 1600x1200 high specs is an altogether different story.

With computers, everything changes very quickly. The technology is going forward at alarming rates. A lot of people don't notice this, as they're quite happy with their 5 year old computers... "It still does what I want it to." The thing is, there is a constant stream of new reviews, new chipsets, new GPU's to be reading about.

Upgrading a computer part by part over a year or something isn't a great thing to be doing, as you might buy a motherboard with DDR2 RAM, but then by the end of the year when you get around to buying the RAM, DDR3 might be very affordable, and offer a much better performance boost (It's currently very very expensive for very little performance gain). Saving your money is the way to go.

Also, what parts will you actually be needing? Will you need a new case, Hard drive, power supply, sound card, etc? Is it a full rebuild?

Thank you soo much for the info i want Intel processor 775 and SLI PCI-express with sata.Complete build from case to motherboard It would be asome if i could run crysis with lowest requirement for crisys
Also off topic but since you like new stuff a lot(like me) did you saw the new ati graphic card
http://gizmodo.com/3...-hd-3870-x2-gpu
:)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
9800GTX will have 3 teraflops. :)

Anyways, I would strongly recommend saving up first, then coming back to us, because as others have already said, things change very fast with PC hardware. Our recommendations now could be totally different a few months from now.

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
One thing i'll probably still be reccommending (Unless liquid cooling suddenly becomes very very cheap and easy to use) is the Antec Nine Hundred Advanced Gaming Case. A few people here run them. Very very nice case :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The Antec 900, while having great air circulation, is also ideal for water cooling as it has precut holes for it. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

9800GTX will have 3 teraflops.

Again, don't hope for the impossible from a single GPU solution.

The Antec 900, while having great air circulation, is also ideal for water cooling as it has precut holes for it. :)

Actually the Antec 900 isn't recommended for watercooling if you plan on modding the case, there are better fits out there for the price.
While it can be done (I have it done in my case), I'd recommend getting something like a CM690 case if you are considering watercooling in the future and want a internal RAD configuration.
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 January 2008 - 04:49 PM.

Canorro

Canorro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

9800GTX will have 3 teraflops. :)

Anyways, I would strongly recommend saving up first, then coming back to us, because as others have already said, things change very fast with PC hardware. Our recommendations now could be totally different a few months from now.

so went is 9800GTX commin for sale and how much it cost?
Also guest you guys are right, maybe I should hold a bit since this year just started and ddr 3 & more cores cpu are commin faster than usual. Like that 80 cores cpu in just 5 years :)
I will probably start gathering money and then buy a new pc in a year or 2 :)