Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frozen and screen Blacks out ...why is this happening?

• Please log in to reply

nofinga911

nofinga911

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
When I turn my comp. on it loads up and goes to the windows log in screen. If I dont sign in and just leave my computer, when I come back, the screen is black, the computer is on, but when I move the mouse or type, the screen stays black and no matter what I do nothing happens. The only thing I am able to do is improperly shut it down.... Can someone please helpp me it never did this before.

Advertisements

Doobieus

Doobieus

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Is it on Hibernation or Standby mode?

"Start" > "Control Panel" > "Power Options"

After you're in Power options, under the "Power Schemes" tab there should be a drop down box that says "System Standby" then make your selection. Whether you want your computer to never go on standby or if there's a certain time limit you want select that from the drop down menu click "Apply" then "Ok".

If it's on "Hibernate" and you want to turn that off.

Get into "Power Options" select "Hibernate" tab and un-check the box that says "Enable hibernation" then click "Apply" the "Ok".

This should help you out a bit, however it does strike me odd that you can't get out of standby with a simple click of a key or shake of a mouse.

Are there any other things going on as well? Or is this the only issue?

Also does this happen when you log on and the leave it idle for awhile? Or does this just occur on the log in screen?

Edited by Doobieus, 27 January 2008 - 04:16 PM.