Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

alarm sounds when booting laptop

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have an acer 5100 laptop. When you boot with in 15 seconds it sounds a real loud alarm. Sometimes quits after 30 seconds, sometimes minutes. If you press F2 and go into setup it stops. I have swapped memory, I have used a laser thermometer to check temps at the CPU and other parts of the board. The highest temp I could get is 115 degrees. I am wondering if it has something to do with the heat pipe. Acer has a copper heat pipe that runs from the cpu to a large fan. Other than that once the alarm shuts off it will boot in to windows with no problems. Has anyone a idea? Bruce

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This can be overheating, though it could also be indicative of a half-dead battery if you're not running it off the power pack.

Is that 115 degrees Fahrenheit (I sure hope so!) or 115 degrees Celsius (in which case you have a laptop that thinks its a kettle)?

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Yes it is Fahrenheit. It is also plugged into AC and not running off the battery.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
115 degrees F is a little on the hot side (around 51-52 C).
Have you tried to clean your fans with canned air? (air compressors are too powerful!)
does the machine run slowly, or freeze up?
Please try taking your battery out before you start the machine and see if the alarm sounds.
(You still need to clean the fans).
I use a laptop cooler to help keep my laptop cool.
Thank you.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
115 degrees is not that hot. It coverts to 46 c. I believe now that it might be a stuck key on the keyboard. I will unhook the keyboard and go from there. Thanks Bruce

MsEHowell

MsEHowell

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have acer aspire 4736 and I'm having the same issue.  I did just change the battery, but it is still acting up.  Makes me want to throw it out the window but I can not afford a new one and it is only 3 years old.