Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Restore Point Problem

• Please log in to reply

GregMiller

GregMiller

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I'm running XP.

This is very weird.

I would like to go back to a restore point in November 2007.

The restore point calendar only shows January 2008. It has in bold every day last week when it made restore points.

When I click on the back arrow next to "January" on the little calendar, it refuses to go back a month. The little arrow gives a visual "depression" but nothing happens.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
The number of restore points maintained depends on how much space is allocated to hold them. By default it's 12% of the hard drive. Once that amount is used, the oldest ones get dumped to make room for new ones.

How big is your hard drive and how much space do you have allocated for System Restore? To see this, click on

Start / Programs / Accessories / System tools / System Restore
Click on System Restore Settings at left
Click on your boot drive (usually C:) then the Settings button.

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks for the information. I didn't knbow exactly how it worked.

Looking at my restore points today, the computer made restore points everyday since 1/18 (except it took Friday off for some reason).

Don't you think that something is odd if it is making restore points every day? I wonder how long this will continue?

My machine is set to the max 12%. It had no trouble reeling off seven restore points on consecutive days in January and trashing my entire 2007 restore points one or two of which might have been useful.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Here is some more info on System Restore and ways in which you can lose restore points: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301224

Also, SR defaults to creating a restore point every day. I believe there is a way to change this but I can't find that info right now.