Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What kind of ram do i need?

• Please log in to reply

Nupek

Nupek

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Im pretty new at all of this. I have a m7060n HP (http://www.dealtime....smart-PC-M7060N) I want to upgrade my ram from the standard 1gb that i bought it with to 2 or 4 gb. I was thinking of buying 4gbs of CORSAIR XMS2 ram from newegg.com for like 90$ or w/e but idk if my motherboard is compatible with PC2 6400 ram. Can someone help me out?

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
According to the H-P website you have DDR memory in that computer, so you will need to buy PC3200 memory. XP will not use 4 gigs of memory anyway. The real limit is around 3 gigs and some computer wont even use 3 gigs. I would thing that 2 gigs of memory would be plenty for most everything you will do on the computer.

SRX660

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

According to Crucial's Memory Advisor and Kingston's memory advisor, your system (Media Centre m7060n) uses PC2-4200 (DDR2 533MHz). I checked Corsairs memory configurator as well but they don't list your system.

Now, in theory, you should be able to use PC2-6400 ram, as the system will simply run at a lower speed (i.e 533MHz which is the speed of PC2-4200). However, I can't promise this especially with big brand systems such as yours because HP etc tend to use fairly proprietry boards and can be fussy about memory.

In short, the Corsair ram you listed should work but you take a slight risk that it won't. If it doesn't then obviously you have the hassle and expense of having to return it to Newegg and swap it different memory.

If you want to be 100% certain of ordering ram thats compatible, then I suggest you buy it direct from Crucial. That will cost just over $100 (USD) for 4 x 1GB sticks. Use their memory advisor to select the right memory. Crucial then guarantee it will be compatible. Alternatively, newegg are selling Crucial PC2-4200 1GB sticks for $39.99 for 2 x 1GB sticks, so this will only cost $80 for 4GB. It won't be guaranteed to be compatible if you do it this way, but as the ram is PC2-4200, then it stands a good chance of working in your system.

Also be aware that only 64 bit versions of the Windows operating system actually support more than 3 or 3.5GB of ram. 32-bit versions may recognise the full 4GB but are unable to address the last 512MB to 1GB of ram correctly.

Nupek

Nupek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hmm, i see. I guess ill try out that CORSAIR XMS2 ram, but also, am i able to put 2 x 2gb sticks on my mobo? I have 4 slots, does that mean 1gb should go on each, so i would need 4 x 1gb?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The maximum amount of memory your system can take is 4GB with a max of 1GB per slot. So in short, it must be 4 x 1GB modules, no 2GB ones.