Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network problems... lan connection wacky!

• Please log in to reply

grayle

grayle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all! hope someone can shed some light on my weird problems. I have satellite internet, am running xp pro sp2, i have a modem which is currently unplugged. I have been trying all day and yesterday, to access the net with no luck. Hooked our lap top directly to the modem and ... got on line! so thought my network card might be damaged. Last night I got on the net on my desk top, for a couple hours. then down. I know there is no problem with the modem (Surf beam) have talked to them and they are getting good signal.

The only downloads i have done are a couple songs from itunes and updates.

could this be a virus, not detected by norton?

any ideas??

Gayle

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
First, welcome to geeks to go.

It sounds like you have a strange issue. I'm not totally familiar with satellite internet access, so this is just a shot in the dark really. Typically, do you have a router that sits between your modem and your computers? It was not clear in your original post. Is it when you have the router hooked up that you have issues or do you have issues when you are plugged directly into the modem?