Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't restart!

• Please log in to reply

mblack18

mblack18

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
All of a sudden, my computer won't restart. Windows shuts down normally, but after shutting down, it gets hung on a blue screen(not the error code blue screen) and the only way I can get it to reboot is to hit the reset button. I never get a message that Windows was improperly shut down, because it is being shut down properly, but like I said, it just hangs on this blue screen, forcing me to push the reset button. anyone have any suggestions? Sure would appreciate it!!! :)

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
When you push the reset button does the machine boot properly? Or does it repeat the cycle?
Thank you.

mblack18

mblack18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It reboots fine after pushing the reset

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
There can be a number of reasons for this.
Let us start with the most simple first.
Can you get a known good power supply?
If so swap your Power supply with the known good.
Thank you.

mblack18

mblack18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm sure the power supply is good because I built this computer about 6 months ago, unless I'm not understanding what you mean about a good power supply?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

I'm sure the power supply is good because I built this computer about 6 months ago

This is a common misconception. Your power supply may be going bad.
To eliminate this as the problem I would like to try a known good power supply.
This will tell me yes or no as to the power supply being defective.
We can go to other problem causes after this.
(since the machine will work properly when you press the reset button I do not believe this to be a software issue.)
Thank you.

mblack18

mblack18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry, this is the only power supply I have. Is there any other way to see if this is the problem?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
No. Power supply testers are not accurate. Nether are volt ohm meters. Plus this may be an issue that would be hard to detect.
OK. Lets try this, boot into the bios (press F2 (repeatedly) when you first start the machine.)
Look to see what power options there are (especialy if you can set what the power button does).

mblack18

mblack18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am on a different computer now so I could boot the problem computer into BIOS My computer won't boot into BIOS by pushing F2. I have to push del to enter setup. I have Award Bios anyway I'm in the bios so what now?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
look for power options (advanced configuration)
Look for any settings concerning the power button.

Advertisements

mblack18

mblack18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
there are two options on the power button suspend or instant off mine is set on instant off

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
OK, the problem is not with any incorrect configuration in your bios.
I believe that this is a power supply issue.
If it is not a power supply issue than it may be the motherboard.
One last thing to try. reseat your RAM.
Just take it out, blow out the sockets with canned air, and reinsert the RAM.
Thank you.

mblack18

mblack18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'll do that and post the results here. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this!!! It's so nice to get quick responses for a problem like this. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
This sounds to me like some application is not allowing XP to complete shutdown. One quick and easy thing to try is to install the Microsoft User Profile Hive Cleanup utility, see if that helps.

mblack18

mblack18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I installed that UPHClean but I'm not clear on what to do next? Does it run in the background, because there is no way to open it. I guess I'm not clear on exactly what a "utility" is. I assume it's different from a program, which would explain why there was no option to open it? In the readme txt, it said I could check the Event Viewer to see if there was a problem that was occurring before that UPHClean would fix, but I don't know how to get to the Event Viewer. Hope this all makes sense!!