Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't restart!

• Please log in to reply

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
To learn about Event viewer please go here.
I am not familiar with UPHClean. A utility is a program, You must open or run it.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
From the download page:

The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending. This can result in problems when using Roaming User Profiles in a server environment or when using locked profiles as implemented through the Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP.

You don't do anything, it's there and does it's thing when you logoff or shutdown.

mblack18

mblack18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok I installed it and then tried to restart and the same thing happened. any suggestions? hfcg recommended getting another power supply, but I wont be able to do that until I get paid. Is there anything else we can try in the meantime? Thanks to everyone for being so patient in dealing with a "56 year old rookie"

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
We were all rookies at one time or another. Hang in there, we'll figure this out.

This web site has a lot of useful information on shutdown problems:

http://support.micro...123120121120120

This is another good site:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

mblack18

mblack18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well, after countless hours stumbling around, I believe I have solved the problem!!! It was Limewire causing the problem. I changed the start up setting to not have Limewire open on start-up and then I was able to restart and shutdown just as it should. I hope this bit of information will help someone out in the future, if they are experiencing the same problem I had. Once again, I'd like to thank you two guys for coming to my rescue, and being patient during the session. Keep up the good work. This was the first time I ever got help with a problem as fast as I did this time. Thanks again.