Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My printer is messing up. It just prints blank pages. :(

• Please log in to reply

dasaten

dasaten

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes. I don't know what happened, but my printer has decided to not do its job. I have been using the Canon BJC-1000 with no problems for many years up until as recently as this week. But, today when I tried to print something, it malfunctioned. I takes the paper through the printer, and acts as if it is printing the document, but the page comes out blank. I don't think my cartridge is dead or even close to it. Normally, you notice that the stuff you print starts fading gradually with each print job before the cartridge runs out. But, this was an immediate thing.

I have been to this site before, and recieved excellent help, and am hoping someone might know how to help me with this problem. I REALLY need to have this printer working, as I have to print things every week for school, so it's very important to me to get it working again asap. I will of course, be more than willing to donate to whomever tries to help me fix it.

thank you!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you tried resetting the printer or even turning it off? Sometimes even turning it off and unplugging it helps. Next, I would run through the diagnostic checks for your printer and see which ones fail. You could also check in Device Manager and see if there are any yellow/red icons that have shown up for your printer driver or any in Device Manager showing. Expand tree out so you can see them all. Possibly even check online at the manufacturer's site for the latest driver and uninstall old one if there is one to install. Another possibility is that the ink contacts need cleaning where they are cradled.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 28 January 2008 - 03:10 AM.

dasaten

dasaten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well, I tried turning off the computer, unplugging the printer and such. I also ran the nozzle check and cleaning under my printers maintenance, although I'm not seeing any diagnostics. I checked in my Device Manager, and oddly enough, there is no tab for my printer. And, I really wouldn't have the first idea about what to do with the ink contacts. I will check for a new driver on the Canon website, though. But, I'm not hopeful.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Any results?

Ron

dasaten

dasaten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No, I really don't know what to do.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Let me drop a request for other techs and see if they have any suggestions. Only other idea I have is that the print spooler service has been deactivated.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 11 February 2008 - 02:42 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
The best place to start is Microsoft Update. Click Scan for updates in the left-hand column, and then click Driver Updates. Download and install any new drivers for your printer.

If you're still having printing problems, go to the printer manufacturer's Web site and search for a Windows XP printer driver for your printer and install it. If that doesn't fix your problem, check that the print spooler is working properly by following these steps:

Right click My Computer.. and then click Manage...

Expand Services and Applications in the console tree and then click Services

In the details pane, scroll to Print Spooler and double-click... The Print Spooler Properties dialog box opens...
Make sure the Startup type is set at Automatic and the service status is set at Started. Make changes if necessary.

If your printer still won't print successfully, it can help to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers. Uninstall the driver by following these steps:

Turn the printer off and disconnect it from the computer.

Click Start, click Control Panel.. and click Add or Remove Programs... and then remove any printer software listed.

In Control Panel... click Printers and Other Hardware... and then click Printers and Faxes...

Right-click the printer and then click Delete.

While Printers and Faxes is still open, on the File menu, click Server Properties.

On the Drivers tab, remove all the drivers listed, and restart the computer.

Now you're ready to go to the printer manufacturer's Web site and download and install the latest Windows XP drivers. If your printer came with Windows XP drivers on a CD, install them according to the manufacturer's instructions. Then connect the printer when instructed by the software.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
it's also possible since it is a canon that the print head is messed up.... either clogged or just not functioning correctly. and yes on the bubblejets the print head was usually seperate from the ink tanks... You use to be able to buy a print head ( with ink if I remember) to replace.... that would be another thing to look for on canon's website. Sorry I can't be more specific than that but it's been a very long time since I have done anything with a canon....

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Do you keep the printer on a power strip?

Do you turn that power strip off when you turn off the computer?

Confuseano

Confuseano

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have the same problem, I think. My printer is also Canon BjC 1000 SP.
Last time I used it, it worked normally. Then I havent been using it for pretty long time. It got dusty and i cleaned it. The printer was still working. I wrap it with paper to prevent dust. This week I bought a USB to Parallel Printer adapter. I connected my computer and printer with it. After I plugged the AC adapter the printer gives response which identifies itself to Windows. And it also do some start up sequence action similar as described by dasaten. At first i didn't realize and after those no response-to-printing-command action, i realize it is not the start up sequence it used to normally perform. Like dasaten did, i have every procedure to make it back to normal. From the cleaning to checking the mechanics. Last effort i've done was performing waste tank reset. So far, the printer remains in error.
The conclusion I finally make is that the mess is caused by failure in electronics. Not a total failure though since it is able to identify itself. I wonder if there is a resetting procedure to make it normal. Maybe replacing the electronic board will be the best solution.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
again did you try replacing the print head? If not that would be the first thing to replace..... it's the plastic piece that the ink goes into.... replacing the electronics would probably not be worth it.... unless you could find one that works on ebay but then why replace the part just replace the printer...

Confuseano

Confuseano

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I replaced the print head with the color one. Nothing changed.
When i was cleaning the board, i found a roach egg laid on a chip leg. I removed it and the legs look wet. That's one of the reasons for electronics failure i stated. I got no diagnostic tools here so the conclusion may be wrong.
The board replacement idea came to my mind since sometimes i find abandoned printers here. And i'm a geek is for another reason. :)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I think you may be confusing the ink tank with a print head they are usually seperate on the older BJC printers... The print heads ( if I remember ) use to be blue plastic with maybe a green lever on or near them.... the ink tanks where usually white with little to no copper or circuitry on them and a hole punched in the bottom.... the ink tanks fit into the print head... the head is what probably needs to be replaced....

Confuseano

Confuseano

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, my printer is more modern then. FYI, bjc 1000 printers use integrated print head and ink tank. I am sorry for the confusing message i posted. That explains my nickname. :)

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts

I takes the paper through the printer, and acts as if it is printing the document, but the page comes out blank.

From the way the above reads, should we understand that you can hear the print head traversing back and forth, with the paper advancing line by line?

If so, the problem is most likely clogged or empty ink cartridges.
Clean or replace the cartridges.

If the paper feeds through much faster than expected, and you do not hear the back and forth travel of the ink cartridges, then it is a problem of the print job not correctly spooling.
Uninstall/Reinstall the the printer software.

If you have wet bug material on a circuit board, disconnect the electric power and connection to your PC.
Clean the infested area and allow to dry before powering up again.

Best Regards