Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows freezes at splash screen

• Please log in to reply

Master Relhok

Master Relhok

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Help! I am running Windows XP pro and when I try to restart from Windows it freezes at the Windows splash screen . Then when I press the restart button I am taken to the screen where I have startup options ie: Safe mode, etc. From there I can select "Start Windows Normally" and it boots up just fine. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When did this start happening? Is it something new or has it been going on for awhile?

Reason I ask is if it's fairly new, you could try doing a System Restore to a date before it started and see if that resolves the problem. To use System Restore, do the following:

Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.

Master Relhok

Master Relhok

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
the computer stopped working all together a while back and I thought it was the hard drive so I put another one in it as a master and set the old one to slave then it seemed to work so I changed the BIOS settings to boot up from the old one and it seemed to work for a couple of restarts then seems to be getting progressively worse. I tried to do a system restore but the restore points were all gone. then I noticed it wasn't connecting to the network so tried to bring up the Network connections window and there was nothing in it. No icons at all. and when I try to view workgroup computers, nothing shows up even though I have 3 other computers in that workgroup on the network. I am thinking it might be the hard drive going bad. I bought it used.
When I boot to the new hard drive that has Vista on it everything seems to be fine. I don't have a Windows XP disk so cannot preform a reinstall.

Edited by Master Relhok, 28 January 2008 - 03:26 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Check out the hard drive then. Go to the drive manufacturers web site and download their diagnostic utility. Create a bootable CD from it and run it to test the drive.