Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

4 Minute Startup after XP clean instal and reboot issue

• Please log in to reply

acampagne

acampagne

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am somewhere between a novice and moderate when it comes to building a PC, but I gave it a shot.

Specs:
Asus A8N5X mobo
AMD 3200+
2 x 1g sticks DDR 184pin (128/512)
WD Cavier 200G IDE (new)
WD ??? 60G IDE
WD ??? 200G SATA

I orignally had a 40g WD IDE running XP installed instead of the 200G IDE. This system with the original 40G drive ran and worked flawlessly for well over a year. Recently, my fiance restarted the computer and it would freeze once the computer reached the loading screen with the logo and looping load bar. The only solution was to hold down the power button to turn off the PC. Multiple restarts in this fasion did nothing. I decided to remove the drive with the OS installed (old 40G) and replace it with a new retail drive I purchased last Feb on sale from NewEgg. I performed a clean install using a Win2k SP3 and XP Pro Upgrade disks I own. Once XP was installed and setup restarts the PC for the first time, I received a disk boot failure. I tried to use XP cd to get to the recovery console and repair the MBR, but when I hit R, the machine would reboot.
Next I removed all the HDD, except the new one and installed a fresh copy of XP. Everything is fine except Windows takes over 4 minutes to load to the welcome screen. It pauses for over a minute when my asus screen is displayed, over a minute after the post, and takes at least another two minutes to get past the logo screen.
I attempted to put my two other HDD in. When I do, everything runs through quickly, but just before the logo screen the PC reboots. I can fix the reboot problem by removing the 60G drive, but once I do, the PC crawls through startup again.

Advertisements