Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tower beeps when trying to boot

• Please log in to reply

Michele01

Michele01

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I attempt to start up my other computer, the tower beeps 10 times. Not from the speakers but from the tower itself. The computer has been a little etchy after we installed a dvd burner into it a couple years ago. Though for the past couple years we've had trouble starting it, the computer won't even boot now! Please help.

Thank you,

Michele

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Michele01...

Just offhand, this sounds like a RAM problem. A little more information about the machine may help us troubleshoot the problem. Is this a brand name machine like Dell or HP? If so, what is the make and model number?

Let's run diagnostics on the memory. To test the RAM, download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. The instructions for creating the disk (it's easy) and using the tool are under the heading "Quick Start Information". Boot your machine with this disk in the drive and let it run a minimum of four complete passes. Any failure in any test may indicate a bad RAM module. To quit the test, press the X key and remove the disk, or simply shut the machine off.

wannabe1

Michele01

Michele01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's an HP Pavillon 511.

I can't take the diagnostic test because the screen and keyboard won't turn on. The monitor has power going to it but it shows as if the computer is completely shut down even though the tower is running.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's not good... :)

Your machine uses AMI BIOS. The 10 beeps you hear indicate a failure of the CMOS. The only way to resolve the issue is by replacing the motherboard.

Michele01

Michele01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh wow. So basically the whole computer is fried?

Thanks a bunch for your help wannabe1. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Back in the day, one would have replaced the CMOS chips, but anymore this has become cost restrictive. You might try resetting the CMOS to see if there is any change, but it is likely to have only a temporary effect if any at all.

If you'd like to try this, I can certainly provide instructions for doing so.

Michele01

Michele01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've already talked to my mom about it and we're contemplating just stripping everything out of that computer and getting a new one. Is there anything you would suggest that wouldn't be extremely hard?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Here's the instructions for resetting the CMOS. If you are uncomfortable about working inside the machine, then you probably shouldn't follow them. The option is yours...

To do this, you need to remove the CMOS battery. It's about the size of a quarter and is usually located in the lower right quarter of the Motherboard. Near the battery (either below or to the right on most) you should see 3 small pins with a jumper block on them. It should look like this, where the underscore represents the jumper . . . Move the jumper to the other pins . . . for about 30 seconds and then move it back to it's original position. Put the battery back in, making sure to put it in + side up. Try to boot your machine.

Note that this will clear the date, time, and restore all default settings to the BIOS. You will have to reset any settings you have changed such as Boot Priority. If you are not using a static strap, keep one hand or your arm touching the metal part of the case to prevent static discharge damage to the Motherboard and it's components.

Please disconnect the machine from the power source before doing this.

Gl@dius

Gl@dius

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
huh. so that's what that battery is for. cool.