Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Wont Start Up

• Please log in to reply

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok, this worked, its booted up normal now, wen i booted it up tho there was a reinstall and it needs to restart to complete but i didnt restart yet, in fear of haveing the same problem again. but now i have no start bar at all, and wen i press the windows key on the keyboard i still get no start menu. other than that tho everything appears to b working normal. thanks again for everything

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok....we're back on the move... :)

Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open Task Manager.

Click on "New Task" to open the Run command.

Type explorer.exe and click "Ok".

Do you get the desktop?

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
no i dont get the desktop i get my "My Documents" folder, i did notice tho wen i opened the task manager that my aim is opened but i cant see it anywhere either. aim and my taskbar are both missing, and internet explorer will open fine but the stops responding

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Type restore and click "Ok".

Does a window open that shows an icon for rstrui?

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
what do i type restore into? where i had typed explorer.exe before?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...I want to look at the system restore feature to see if you have any viable system restore points...just look, though. We don't want to use one yet.

If that icon is there, double click on it.

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok, yes i have the rstrui.exe icon

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Double click on it...does system restore open?

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
yes, it takes me to the system restore

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if there are any restore points...just look though.

Select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click "Ok".

Are there any bold dates on the calendar?

Advertisements

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
yes there is one bold date, its January, 29th, 2008, but that is the only one in bold, and i cannot switch to view previous months

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That would explain why you only had the one to restore to earlier. Let's see if we can figure out what happened to your machine. Click on "Cancel" to close System Restore.

In Task Manager, type eventvwr.msc and click "Ok". The Event Viewer should open. In the left pane, click on "System". In the right pane, are there any Red icons with an X in them displayed? If so, what's listed next to the most recent one?

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok i did as u said and there are quite a few of the red x errors from today, all the same tho. Type-Error, Date 1/29/2008, Time 1:23:08, Source- Service Control Manager, Category-None, Event 7026, User- N/A, Computer D8D5R191.
i also have a few cases where theres a yellow icon saying: Type-Warning, Date 1/29/2008, Source- USER32, Event-None, Computer-System

those are the most recient error and warning on the list

Edited by LCollins2, 29 January 2008 - 01:39 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...close that window and let's try something. We may end up starting over in the morning, but I have a hunch this is a driver problem.

Do you have important files you need to get off the machine? If you do, we should work on that next. Just to be safe.

What I want to try may give us a good indication of how viable your system is...

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
no theres nothing really important on there, just music n photos that i really dont wanna lose if at all possible. if we need to start over tomarrow thats not a problem, thank you again for all of your help with this