Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Wont Start Up

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Task Manager, type %systemroot% and click "Ok". In the left pane of the window that opens, you should have access to "My Computer" and other areas where you have stored you information. You should be able to use this window to access anything you want to copy off the machine before you try the next option. I don't know that your machine will boot back up normally doing the next step...we may well have to start over tomorrow. :)

From Task Manager, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the General tab, select "Diagnostic Startup". Under the "Services" tab, tick the box at the bottom to "Hide all Microsoft Services", then click on "Disable All".

Click "Apply" then "Ok". You will be asked to restart. Let's go ahead and see if it will boot this way. If it will, we've got something to work with. If it won't, we'll start over tomorrow.

Advertisements

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok that worked, it booted up fine, but still i have no task bar, i normally just have my computer hooked up thru the S Video cable to my t.v, but to do all this today to try to fix it i hooked up a monitor thats never been on my computer before because i dont have the original monitor anymore, the monitor is still a dell monitor tho, im not sure if that makes any kinda difference or not, could that be why i have no task bar or start menu?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That shouldn't make a difference.

We have a driver problem for sure and something is preventing explorer from starting. Open Task Manager and type %systemroot% ...click "Ok". Locate the explorer icon and double click on it.

Any change?

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok i did that, wen i double click on the "explorer" icon it takes me to my Local Disk (C:) folder

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's call it a night. You have a viable system and I think we can get it all back...it's just going to take some time.

I'll leave you a couple suggestions when I log on tomorrow.

You've done great! :)

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok that sounds good to me, thank you you've been a huge help, i really appreciate it. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In Task Manager, type control and click "Ok". Control Panel should open...just leave it open for the time being.

Double click on "Display". What resolution is the screen set to?

I know you said IE was freezing...do you have any other browsers installed?

Back in Control Panel, double click on "System". Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open. Copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me...then close the window. (If you have to copy this by hand...please be exact.)

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
hello, my screen resolution is set at 800x600 with the color quality set at Highest (32 bit) and i have no other browsers installed, only IE.

wen i click on the "Edit" button as told i do get the notepad, its called Boot.ini-Notepad, here is what it says:

[boot loader]
timeout= 30
default= multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" \fastdetect \NoExecute=OptIn

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That screen resolution should work, but let's change it to 1024 X 768 and see if there's any change.

After you do that, in Control Panel, double click on "User Accounts". Click on "Create New Account", give the account a name that's different from your current account, and click "Next". Select "Computer Administrator" and click "Create Account".

Reboot. When the machine restarts, you should have the option to log in to either account...choose the new one and see if it loads to a desktop.

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok yea that worked, i have the new account created and i logged into it and have my task bar back. but my I.E still isn't working

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
One down.... :) You had a corrupt User Account...we'll move your data from the old account to the new in a bit.

What version of IE do you have? Is it IE6 or IE7?

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
umm i think its 7 but im not sure, how would i double check to make sure?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
From Control Panel, double click on "Add or Remove Programs". Tick the box at the top to "Show Updates" and look in the list for "Windows Internet Explorer 7". If it's there, select it and choose "Remove" to uninstall it. If you don't find it, let me know and we'll try to repair IE6.

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok in my control panel i went to add or remove programs and then clicked show updates. i looked thru the list but i have nothing for I.E. at all. not I.E. or any updates for it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you go online with that machine?