Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Wont Start Up

• Please log in to reply

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
no, its not sayin that i have no internet connection or anything, but I.E wont open any pages, its jus a white screen wen i open it like it would b if it was loading up, but it don't say internet explorer cannot display the page or anything like that, it just stays white and then says its not responding

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type %systemroot%\inf and press "Enter". Find the Ie.inf file (it will have a gear on it) and right click on it...choose "Install". When it finishes copying files, reboot...then try Internet Explorer.

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok i went into %systemroot%\inf and looked around, the only files i have in there begenning with "ie" are:

ie
ie.PNF
ie.access
ie.access.PNF
iereset
iereset.PNF

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does the one named ie have a gear on it? If so...that's the one.

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
no, ie wen i double click it opens a notepad file. the one that says ie.PNF has a gear, but wen i double click on that it says windows cannot open the file and gives me the option to choose a program to open with

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not double click...right click and choose "Install".

On the window toolbar, click on "Tools" and select "Folder Options". Click the "View" tab, remove the tick from "Hide extensions for known file types", "Apply" the change, and click "Ok".

Then look for the file again...ie.inf

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok that worked, i do have the file now ie.inf, i went to install and got a message tho that says this:

The File \EXPLORE.Exe' on Windows XP Home Edition Servie Pack 2 CD is needed

Type the path where the file is located and then click OK.

Copy Files From:

C:\WINDOWS\inf\i386 Browse

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your installation disk would sure be handy.... :) Cancel out of that.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd and click "Ok". A command session window will open. Type each of the following commands at the prompt, pressing "Enter" after each one.
  • regsvr32 urlmon.dll
  • regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
  • regsvr32 msjava.dll
  • regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
  • regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
  • regsvr32 mshtml.dll
  • regsvr32 browseui.dll
  • regsvr32 shell32.dll
  • exit
Try Internet Explorer.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Refresh the page...I made an edit...... :)

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok sry for taking so long. neways i did all that, but wen i got to where i put in "regsvr32 mshtml.dll" i get a message saying mshtml.dll was loaded but the regester server entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered, i still continued on to the browseui.dll and shell32.dll, but I.E still is the same

i dont see any edit?

also i do have the disk that i used to boot windows from before, but its not the Windows XP Home Edition SP 2 disk, its only XP Home Edition will it still work to find the file??

Edited by LCollins2, 29 January 2008 - 03:52 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download Internet Explorer 7 and save the file to your desktop. Copy the file to a cd or flash drive and use that to install it on the other machine. Reboot as prompted, then try it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm going to have to step out for a bit (daughter's dental appointment), but will check back in with you on my return. I shouldn't be more than a couple hours.

The disk you have may work...we'll discuss using it if the IE7 install isn't successful... :)

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok i did that, downloaded i.e 7 and put it on cd, then installed and did as it said, it got to the point where it updates, and said that it cannot update and for me to open internet explorer and go to updates. then it asked to restart and i did, but wen it restarted im back where i was, i have no task bar and it says aim is opened but i dont see it on screen.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do a system restore to the most recent restore point. One should have been created just prior to installing IE7. That should put you back where you were.

You did log on to the new account....right? :)

I gotta run...be back in a bit.

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok i did the system restore, but the task bar is still not there, however internet explorer wen i open it now it shows the screen saying internet explorer cannot display the page. so i tried to disconnect the router and pluged the modem directly into the computer. but that didnt make any difference. its as if there were no internet connection, even tho its wired to the modem right and the modem is online and detecting pc activity. and the computer i am using now is working fine run off the same modem thru a wireless router.

also i forgot to mention before, before i installed I.E.7 i changed the boot settings in msconfig, back to the normal boot setting because it was still on diagnostic boot, but didnt restart yet, then i installed i.e.7 and rebooted, thats wen i lost the start bar again, i tried to reboot back in diagnostic boot but still nothing, ill go ahead and follow the instructions given before and make another new user account to see if that will help, then we can start from there, again i thank you for all your help and patience. :)

**Edit** ok i did just as i did before and made a new user account, but that didnt work this time, i still have no task bar.

i also just realized i have no sound device, wen i try to play music it says i have no sound device installed on my computer or it may not be working properly. and wen i try to play a movie it says no media hardware found

Edited by LCollins2, 29 January 2008 - 05:32 PM.