Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Wont Start Up

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok....

Now let's run a System File Check. When you are asked for the cd during this...you guessed it, use the one you have... :)

In Task Manager, type sfc /scannow and click "Ok". (Note the space after sfc)

Advertisements

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok i did that, but wen i type in sfc /scannow and click "Ok", i get a very fast glimpse of what looks like the command prompt u had me bring up before, but it goes away before i can even get a look at it, and then thats it, it never asks me for a disk or anything, as soon as i hit ok it pops up and goes away just as quick as it came

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try it from a command session. In Task Manager, type cmd and click "Ok".

Then type the sfc /scannow command at the prompt and press "Enter".

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok i did it from the command session and its working, its Protecting Windows Files now, very slowly, but it is doin it. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool!

This one will take a while... :)

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok it finished, but after it was done it didnt say anything, and it still never asked me for a disk or anything, it jus did the Windows File Protect then stopped. im not sure if thats wut its supposed to do or not, but i never got any scan results or anything saying that the scan was complete, nothing, not even in the command prompt, so im running it again now.

Edited by LCollins2, 29 January 2008 - 08:45 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You can run it again, but if it didn't find an incorrect version of a file, it would not have asked for the cd.

Do you have the product key for the cd you've been using? I'm thinking parallel install so we can replace files in the old install more easily. You'll need the product key for the install, but we won't activate it. That will give us a good operating system with which we can work on the bad one. There's only so much we can do from command line when it's being run from a corrupt registry.

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
no i dont have the product key, the disk that ive been using is the installation disk given by Dell, its already installed on the computer but they give the disk anyway as a backup disk in a paper casing and it has no product key on it. but with my computer wen i got it they didnt give me this disk, jus a cardboard one that looks like it explaining the point of the Dell System Restore. i did talk to a friend tho and they think that they still have there copy of XP SP2 but arent sure if they kept it after upgrading to Vista. but they are going to look for it and give it to me tomarrow if they have it still. would it be better to just leave it go for now and pick back up then after i get it tomarrow?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you can get a disk and matching key, we can fix this rig without question.

If your friend installed Vista, the key is no longer in use...that opens up a whole new world to you... :)

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok then, ill get the disk and let you know wen i have it. should be tomarrow evening sometime.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I should be here... :)

It was kinda fun playing with command line, though..........

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Just a FYI: Magic Jellybean Keyfinder will tell you what the current key for your XP install is and that should be the one to use with the Dell recovery disk.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...could get it with Everest and WinAudit, too. Unfortunately, the disk we have isn't OEM or the correct version....and the Dell disk is a cardboard cutout... :)

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
yea it was kinda fun, plus i really have learned alot throughout all this, before this i had never used any kind of DOS or command prompt or anything like that.

thank you for the advice Ztruker, but the Dell recovery disk i have isn't the windows thats installed on my machine, the recovery disk i have is for a different computer which is about 2 years older, and they jus had to go and release the service pack 2 during that time. :) so on my machine (which is the one with the problems) i have Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2, and the Dell disk i have is for the original Windows XP Home Edition.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Before we start repairing with the disk, I'd like to check a couple of things in the registry...more because I'm stubborn than anything.

From Task Manager, type regedit and click "Ok". Registry Editor will open. In the left pane expand (click +) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and click on .exe What are the values shown in the right pane?

Then, again in the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down and click on Shell. What is the value shown under the Data column for this string?