Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Wont Start Up

• Please log in to reply

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
lol i can deffenatly understand the stubborness. :)

when i go to the HEKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and click on .exe thr right pane shows two listings:

Name- (Default), Type- REG_SZ, Data- exefile
Name-Content Type, Type- REG_SZ, Data- application/x-msdownload

and wen i go to "Shell" under "Data" it says Eplorer.exe

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Eplorer.exe

Or Explorer.exe?

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
sry that was a typo, its Explorer.exe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Darn...thought we were on to something..... :)

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok, ive got the disk but have absolutly no time today to mess with anything, something came up, so ill check back tomarrow n hopefully we can get this rolling. also tho, i have the Windows XP Service Pack 2 disk and the Windows XP Pro, after we get this fixed will i b able to go ahead and upgrade to Pro without losing all my data or will it b just like reinstalling windows where i loose everything??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Once we repair the current installation, you should be able to use the Pro disk to upgrade...that would leave your data intact. I think it best to repair the old one first, though...to avoid any problems with installing Pro over it.

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
hello. im back today for more instruction.
i have the windows xp sp2 disk but im really not sure what to do with it, n just so i dont mess anything up worse than it already is im not gonna do anything to it until i know what im doing. so now that i have the disk where do i go from here?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This will be easier than the steps we've already taken and should provide better results.

Do you have the product key that goes with the disk you'll be using?

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
yes i do have the product key, but the disk that i have isnt what i was expecting, i have two different disks, one is the original windows xp installation disk and the other is the sp 2 upgrade disk, but both have the matching product keys

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
i just wanna double check that the product key is what i think it is, would this b it: VRMSP_EN

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try the upgrade disk first. If it works (and I expect it will) it will save us a step.

Boot your machine using that disk. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press "Enter" to install Windows.

On the next screen, press F8 to accept the license agreement.

Select the operating system to be repaired (it's probably already selected) and press the R key.

The Windows install will begin and will appear as a complete install. It's just repairing the current operating system, though, and will complete somewhat faster than an actual install. You will be asked for the product key during this process...use the one for the disk you're using.

Let me know when this process completes or if you run into any problems.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The product key will be a 25 character alphanumeric key and sould be located on the jacket the disk comes in. (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx)

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok, theres of course a problem, it don't give me the option to boot from disk with the upgrade, and i dont have the product key, in place of the C.O.A it says The Certificate of Authenticity label has been removed by your PC manufacturer and should be attached to your PC. so can i just use the product key for the windows thats already installed on my computer? because i do have that one

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...it's an OEM version...which is ok. Try the product key on your machine. If it doesn't work, we'll have to switch to the other disk and try again. The SP2 may get in the way... :)

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok now im stuck, i got to the point where i had to enter the product key, and i put in the one from my computer, but it says that its not valid, so i cant go any further, and it wont let me cancel either, so im jus kinda stuck now at the product key entry. this is the Windows XP Home Edition disk, the SP2 disk isn't an actuall windows installation disk, its only the SP2 update disk, so it wont let me run the repair or boot it from that disk

Edited by LCollins2, 31 January 2008 - 04:09 PM.