Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Computer STill Wont Start UP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

LCollins2

LCollins2

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
i went to boot my computer in safe mode, by going to Start-Run-msconfig-Safe Boot

after it asked if i wanted to restart now or later i said restart now, and wen the computer restarted i get the screen for my graphics card as usuall, then the dell loading screen as usuall, and then the windows xp loading screen as usuall, only after the windows xp loading screen is finished instead of going to my desktop as usuall the screen just stays black and wont do anything at all. ive tried going into my boot options as its loading by hitting F12 at the Dell loading screen, and ive tried to go to normal boot, it still does the same thing, ive also tried 2 run a diagnostic test on it and went into the symptom tree option and chose "OS will not start" it ran some tests and came up with to different errors but both with the same msg.

the error codes were: First-0F00:0244, and Second-0F00:1A44
and both had the same msg underneith the error code which is: Msg: Block104212799: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

other than this i haven't gotten any error messages or anything like that.

i already posted this an was directed to another similar problem, the solution given for that problem was this:

that is a weird problem, but you seem to have some bad sectors that effected the operation of the Windows.
do you have the Win XP CD? boot for that CD and do a Repair, that should repair your installation.

i do have a win xp cd and i have just tried to run the repair thing but it just opens something that looks like DOS, and then what? I can't dir C: nor can i see any of the partitions on my second drive, but the second partition on my first drive i can see everything on... but what do i do then?

type chkdsk /f /r

this will try to search and fix any errors on your HDD

this worked for that problem, which seems to be the same problem i am having, only i tried the resolution given for the other post, but i cannot get my system to give me the option to boot from the windows xp disk, my computer itself did not come with any disk for windows xp, it was already installed and instead of giving me a disk they felt a peice of cardboard telling me about system restore was good enough. so i used the disk from my moms computer which is similar and is also a windows xp disk, her computer is about 2 years older tho so the disk she has is for windows xp and not the windows xp sp2, i dont kno if this makes any kind of difference or not. but wen i put the disk in her computer and restart it, it gives me an option as its starting saying "hit any key to boot from disk" i dont get this message wen i put the disk in my computer and restart, and wen i go to the boot options i have only "safe mode", "safe mode with networking", "safe mode command prompt", "last working mode" and "normal mode", none of wich work to get me any further past the Windows XP loading screen.
also wen i try to boot my computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" it freezes up on a black screen i guess its a "DOS" screen?? black with a bunch of white text, anyways the text says:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system\32\Drivers\

after the last "\" the msg changes for each one, but it freezes at this screen

Is there any other way i can get it to boot from the disk? or is there any other solution that might help?

again thanx in advance for any help or advice on this.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
If you have SP2 installed then you can't use a SP1 CD to run the Recovery Console.

You have two choices. You can create a new XP CD slipstreamed with SP2 (directions below) or you can download a iso image of the RC from either of the following sites:

XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console. From the command prompt, enter:

chkdsk c: /p (or chkdsk c: /r for a more thorough scan and recovery).

The simplest way to create a Bootable Windows XP Pro or Home Installation CD Slipstreamed with SP2 is to use Autostreamer. You point to your XP Pro/Home CD, the SP2 Service Pack .exe file, give it a path to write the .iso file to and off it goes. In 5 or 10 minutes you have a .iso file that you can burn to CD with almost any CD burner program you want to use. I used Roxio 7. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this also.

Here is the link to Autostreamer:
http://www.softpedia...ostreamer.shtml

You can download the SP2 .exe here:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

An excellent alternative is nLite. It allows you to merge SP1/SP2/Windows Updates into a new XP CD image that you can install from. Takes a bit of fiddling with but worth the effort since it also allows you to pre-answer all the questions asked during install so all you have to do is boot the new CD, select where you want to install, format or not and go to lunch. When you come back the install is finished and your are at the latest Service Pack and Update level. See here:
http://www.nliteos.com/

Use this site to get the MS updates:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/

You can also get updates from an MS site but it takes more work:
http://windowsxp.mvp...saveupdates.htm

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Also receiving help HERE.

To avoid confusion, I'm going to close this topic.