Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reformat issues

• Please log in to reply

Beansy

Beansy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok guys and gals, I am at my end with this so here it is:

I apparently picked up a virus or trojan from a malicious website I am guessing. My computer kept having random errors, shutting itself off numerous times in a row, closing random apps that were running, etc... yeah I was due for a reformat so I thought no big deal. I'll wipe and spend the next 2 days reinstalling crap. I have done this to my box ( a 4 yr old HP media center) probably 8 times now- the destructive recovery. This time it did not work. I got the blue screen w/ error 0x0000007B in the middle of the reformat, so I had no OS at that point. The partition would not load the recovery and I even have the XP Media Center discs which failed as well. I asked around and the best solution was try a new hard drive. I have upgraded quite a bit in my box, so why not I thought. The HP came stock w/ a Seagate 160gig hd. I got a Seagate 250 to replace it. As I went to hook it back up the new drive was IDE instead of the ATA which the old drive was hooked up with. So... I go and spend money for the IDE PCI adapter. Now everything is hooked up, and I still am getting that blue screen error while it attempts to reformat. This is driving me nuts!! My wife is rather happy because I am a big gamer and this kinda stuff has made me afk for 3 weeks now. I also asked around if all this new added hardware should be removed and the box put back to factory in order to use the 4 yr old OS I was loading and was told it should not matter. I have upgraded the following:

Nvidia 7950gt
400w PSU
2.5gig ram

If anyone could help plz!! Thanks for your time reading this :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You said the new drive is IDE, not ATA, do you really mean SATA? If so, when you were doing the reinstall to the SATA drive, did you remember to load the SATA driver by pressing F6 when requested to do so?

There is a lot of good information in the MS article: Advanced troubleshooting for "Stop 0x0000007B" errors in Windows XP

Post back and let me know if any of this helps.

Beansy

Beansy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, it must be SATA.. the plug itself om my board is very small and just had ATA stamped on the side of the plug is why I said that. I read where I need to upload drivers by what you said by pressing F6 when prompted, but I never get prompted :) Here is my operation from start to blue screen:

Turn on the cpu
It searches for IDE
(Have CD in to boot the OS) so once finished searching it runs CD automatically
says No OS found, type 'R' to restore
I do so and it starts by "Preparing Recovery"
HP screen
Starting Recovery
Blue screen

Thanks for your help

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Beansy, please clarify.

Your mother board does not have any IDE connectors on it?
You had to install a PCI IDE card to hook up the new IDE drive to?

What is the make/model of the HP system?

You have a HP Recovery Cd, not a full XP install CD?