Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I BET NO ONE HAS EVER ASKED THIS

• Please log in to reply

vitaum88

vitaum88

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok... the thing is... I want to quit gaming... I'm addicted.. I really want to quit, but I can't afford professional help. Please help me... Honestly.. I'm desperate.
Please. :)

Advertisements

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Well, I don't really understand why you would want to "quit" gaming all together. I see nothing wrong with playing a game an hour or so for the day. My only advice is hang out with your friends or better yet, your girlfriend (if you have one). Also, try and find something else that peeks your interest. I love music and playing the guitar, some times I sit in my room and play for hours. Just try and find other things to occupy your time... a job is a good start (if you don't all ready have one).

Edited by reconman, 29 January 2008 - 12:20 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Reconman is right. It is alright in moderation. If you can not settle for a reasonable amount then you may have to give it up altogether. My way of kicking habits has always been a 2nd job.

When you are working 70-80hrs a week you will only think about food and sleep by the time you get home.

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Ok, this may sound stupid, but i'm just trying to help...

One of my friends used to play Maple story, he needs to do his homework. He happended to meet a GM in the game and told the GM to ban him because he needed to do his homework. well... the GM did ban him for a period of time.

Take a look at this video:

Hope this helps. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:) That's a funny video!

To the OP, you say you wish to quit gaming, what do you intend to do instead? I totally agree with the other comments here, I find whenever I want to change my habits, I find something else I want to do so it will fill up my time. Otherwise, I'm just sitting there doing nothing and getting tempted again!

Troy

Salku69

Salku69

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Everyone has that habit once and awhile

They can't let go of that controller/keyboard because it excites them too much.
The only way to get rid of a habit is slowly reduced of how may game hours you do
and find another project to find yourself to. One way I did it was sports and a Job. :)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
gaming addiction is like any other addiction. Depending on the severity, it can require professional help. We are not exactly equipped to respond to this kind of question.

how strong is you desire to stop? The fact that you have asked for help says a lot.

cancel your game subscriptions. cancel your internet connection, sell your computer. Yes it is drastic. IF your not willing or committed, it will not work. This is true for any addiction.

1. Explore your world - Chances are, you play games on the same computer or tv in the same room. One of the best ways to help you fight the urges to play is to put yourself in a different environment. Take a walk, visit a friend, go to a different part of your house, whatever it takes to keep you away from that one room.

2. Call in support - You are not alone. Fighting an addiction by yourself is difficult, but with the help of others, it is much easier to kick the habit. Find a friend, a loved one, or even a fellow gamer to help keep you accountable to your game plan. Have them help you keep track of how often you play and to encourage you whenever you're feeling down. Having someone there can make it that much easier to quit.

3. Find a new hobby - If you're a dedicated gamer, you probably spend about 20+ hours a week playing video games. Now that you're on the path to being unplugged, you'll find yourself with a lot of extra time on your hands. The worst obstacle to a recovering gaming addict would be to be bored. Isn't that why most people play games in the first place? To get over their boredom? So do yourself a favor and find a new hobby that you can learn and enjoy (just don't get addicted to that either!)

vorybory

vorybory

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Ok... the thing is... I want to quit gaming... I'm addicted.. I really want to quit, but I can't afford professional help. Please help me... Honestly.. I'm desperate.
Please. :)

Get yourself involved with some sort of community group. Do anything that requires you of getting out of your house for at least a couple days a week. If this is what you feel must be done, you need to get your mind on other things. The only way to do this is to fill your schedule with constant things every day, and after a couple days you'll be out of the habit of video games.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

The only way to do this is to fill your schedule with constant things every day, and after a couple days you'll be out of the habit of video games.

I disagree. I usually takes me a couple months to break out of a habit?

You really think a life long habit can be rid of in a couple days???

animosity

animosity

• Pip
  • 6 posts
well if you're real serious about quitting you need to be cut off from the game(s) themselves. you cannot have access to them period. I've also tried to quit counter-strike 1.6 one week ago but i've been playing on a good luck streak ever since the day I said no more cs. lol.

you need to uninstall the game(s)
have a friend change your OS login password and only allow yourself to use the guest account(this method will worth perfectly for a noob computer user)
re-format and use a non-gaming-friendly OS.... LINUX? win95/98 maybe? VISTA! lol

get creative theres a million ways.

Trash man

Trash man

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
wat r u ppl saying.... dude how old are you? i mean an addiction is an addiction but get over it. get your act together. dont you have anything better to do, its not a bad thing but theres no rational way. remember too much of anything is bad. if you think u can u can.

ill tell you how i quit smoking. i just stopped and tried not thinking about cigarettes. it works. look at me now. im a black belt in karate!!!!

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
I agree with everyone else here

Just find your self another hooby like Music!!

And get out annd about more!