Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I have this bad, unstable 200gb Samsung IDE harddrive. It's what i'm running right now, but i'm about to get a 200gb SATA.

I plan to use the SATA to run windows, and then get Linux on the IDE. I've got all my important stuff backed up right now, so I don't care if I screw my computer up, so i'm messing around with some partitions, resizing and junk.

Anyway, this HDD was jsut one big 190gb partition, so I used GParted to resize it to 150gb.

It all worked fine, my computer boots up perfectly fine and all. BUT if I go and create a partition from the 40gb unused space, no matter what i'm getting an "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" error when trying to boot up. I can fix it by simply deleting the partition I just created.

I've tried using fdisk from my 98SE install disk (It says I need to make a primary dos partition to make an extended partition, but when I made a primary dos partition on my laptop, with the main partition already being NTFS, it screwed up the thing).

GParted - I get the Unmountable boot volume error.
Partition Logic - Same error.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's messing about with partitions after Windows has been installed on that drive that's causing the problem. You need to get your partitions arranged and set up first, then install Windows on one of them. If you don't wish to re-install Windows leave the disk as is.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
My computer crashed not too long ago, and I decided on getting a new HDD, so this was just a temporary install on this drive - which is why it was all just one partition.

I've got my new hdd, but i'm about to get a new motherboard (it's in the mail!), so i'm waiting until I get it to install on the new hdd. So i'm just messing around with this drive until then.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Seltox, 29 January 2008 - 06:32 AM.