Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Flash player update question

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I recently got a dialog box notification that a Flash player update was available while my desktop was still loading and I was not using anything flash-player-related. This is the first time that I have received an update like this and was wondering if it is normal behavior for flash player.

Sorry for such a noob-ish question! :)

Advertisements

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hello CelestialTeardrop,

Here is a link with information regarding Flash update

This link will verify which version you already have installed on your machine.

Last of all is this link showing you how to install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.

I hope this is of some help to you.

kind regards, :)

Edited by tallin, 29 January 2008 - 03:35 AM.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Hi Tallin, thanks for your reply!

I have visited those links before, and I did find this:

Periodically, Adobe updates Flash Player with new features or fixes to minor problems. The Automatic Notification and Update feature allows Adobe to automatically notify you when an updated version of Flash Player is available so that you can install it right away.

I was just wondering if the Automatic Notification pops up even if there is no flash content or anything flash-player related open at the time.

Thanks again. :)

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

I was just wondering if the Automatic Notification pops up even if there is no flash content or anything flash-player related open at the time.

It has never happened to me, so I do not know - to answer your question.

I run and have had good experience with this link to keep all software up to date. I run it weekly and find it very good. It also gives you the link to install the outdated software, and most of all you can decide exactly what to download and update.

kind regards,

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This pop-up could occur even if Flash isn't in use.
Having said that, many programs use Internet Explorer as their "engine" for various tasks and the majority of Internet Explorer users will already have some version of Flash on the system, so said program in use would be enough to trigger a check for Flash updates.