Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Starts -Stops and then starts again -stops at F1

• Please log in to reply

slinger1937

slinger1937

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
O/S - Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

Processor
2.85 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board b
Board: 875P+ICH5R
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 11/17/2003

I had such an excellent result from an earlier plea for help, could you help me with this one please?

For about 40% of the time, my PC will start o.k.

For the rest of the time, it will start, immediatley stop for a few seconds and then restart, it will run until it stops again at "F1 Press to continue -- Del to enter Setup"
The message above it says "Checksum error - Defaults loaded"

Sometimes the Windows first page opens with the bar moving to indicate it is loading, when that has finished as it should, the screen will go blank and nothing further appears, just a black screen.

On rare occassions, when I switch on, the PC will run but nothing appears on the screen at all, (my monitor is an iiyama Vision Master Pro 452 and is very stable).

Whenever I have to switch off at the main switch and restart, everything runs fine.

Although old (like me) the inside of the drive is very clean (like me), I installed a new battery and PSU not long ago.

I have cleaned the Registry with Ccleaner, a-squared Free and Eusing Free, my anti viruses are up to date, and I cannot think of anything else.

tia. (thanks in anticipation)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Why did you repalce the battery? Was it to try and solve the present problem? Please do the following, testing the computer after each step:

1: Disconnect the power cable. Open the box and check that all cables are firmly connected. Touch each connection, shake it lightly and press it in. Do not use excessive force. Do the same with the memory modules and video card (if it's an add-on card).

2: Try to clear the cmos. Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. If you have a voltmeter check the battery. It should show at least 3 volt. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other notification. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS. You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. Look for what key you have to press to enter setup.

3: Run a memory test. Use the link in my signature to download Microsoft Memory Diagnostic tool, create a bootable CD and run a memory test at least for an hour. Please report if there are any errors.

slinger1937

slinger1937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I am about to do as you instructed, thank you!.

slinger1937

slinger1937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello STAFF,

Yes, I did replace the battery (on advice) to try and solve this problem.

I checked all cable connections and cards, they are seated correctly.
I disconnected the battery for nearly 20 minutes and checked its voltage, a good 3 volts.
On startup, had the same problem.
Corrected the date and time.

I ran the Diagnostice tool for nearly two hours - there were no faults.
The startup this morning went smoothly, but this is how the PC goes, sometimes it will run o.k., other times not.

I will start and stop the machine throughout the day (while I do the washing, ironing, shopping, getting my pension, taking my wife out, feeding the cat, taking the dog for a walk, cleaning the windows etc. etc.)
its such fun being retired!! :-)

thank you for your help, I will report back in a days time to update you.

Pete.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi Pete.

If the problem you had upon bootup is that the boot process stopped with a checksome error or another message that disappeared after you set time and date in the BIOS, then this is normal. However, if the problem reappears then I am afraid that we are facing a more serious problem. Let's hope not.

slinger1937

slinger1937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello again STAFF,

Well, I have had my PC on and off for quiete a number of times (and it seemed to be o.k.,) when I found that the sound has gone, (I went to "My Music"), the only sound that I now get, which I did not get before was a beep when any small window opens giving me info, for example, playing spider solitaire. and closing it down, "Do I want to save?" etc.

All that I have done since I opened this thread, is follow your advice and update, and run my virus checks, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster, SpyBot SDand Avast, nothing was found, I also have ZA running.

That Diagnostic check that I ran would not have interfered with any settings, would it?

Thanks for your advice.

Pete.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do yo have the sound card integrated into the motherboard? If yes, enter the BIOS again and see if there is anything related to sound and make sure it's enabled. Also, please check in Device Manager, in "sound video and game controllers", any yellow or red question or exclamation marks.

slinger1937

slinger1937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello The Skeptic,

< Also, please check in Device Manager, in "sound video and game controllers", any yellow or red question

or exclamation marks.

No yello/Red question or exclamation marks.

I went into the Bios - Peripheral devices and saw the following:- These are the default settings,

USB Controller Enabled
USB 2 Controller Enabled
USB Keboard Support Disabled
USB Mouse Support Disabled
Onboard 1394 Disabled
Onboard PCI Audio Disabled - I changed this to Enable as you advised.
Onboard RealTech Lan Disabled
CSA LAN (Giga-LAN) Enabled

I restarted the machine twice and it started perfectly.
I will give it a day and report back, thank you very much for you help.
How come all of this excellent expertise is for free? people like me are greatful anyway.

Pete.

(This may be a double post, if so I am sorry).

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
in case the problem happened again.

REMOVE all external peripherals and see if the problem will still happen w/o all those devices. (just leave the monitor, power, mouse and keyboard plugged in to the computer)

go to the BIOS and wait there for a few minutes to see if the problem will occur while your inside the BIOS screen.
If your computer turns off while you're in BIOS, that means the computer has a hardware failure already.

INTERMITTENT SHUT DOWN can be cause by the MOTHERBOARD or the PROCESSOR failure already, those components are not included in computer diagnostics as well.

Edited by wytboy55, 01 February 2008 - 04:08 AM.

slinger1937

slinger1937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Wytboy55,

Thanks for that info, I will do as you suggest, the stopping only occurs immediatley on startup, 2 or 3 seconds, when I eventually get windows up and running, everything runs as it should.

I did have a couple of instances recently when the PC started, although the PC was starting up the text showing was broken up and I had to restart, once I did everything was fine!

I will leave it a ouple of days and come back.

Pete,

slinger1937

slinger1937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The Skeptic, wytboy55,

I have had the PC on and off for about a dozen times now, and it seems to be running fine.

Thanks you for the advice provided, it is appreciated very much.

Pete.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
ur welcome