Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Antivirus Do You Use?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I use Kaspersky and have to say I love it and find it the best AV around. Some reasons why is because it disinfects viruses rather than deleting them. It is also light on the system and has a quick system scan compared to other AVs.

What Antivirus do you use... why?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
This topic has came up many times. Check out our search function and you will see what most people have to say. I use AVG because it is free and uses very minimal resources. Safe internet surfing habits are just as effective as a good A/V IMO. I have not had a virus since I first arrived here at Geeks to Go.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts

Safe internet surfing habits are just as effective as a good A/V IMO.

Very true Titan, I use Nod 32 myself, although it doesnt get much of a work out since this is one of the only sites I come to :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
There is no security software that can offer 100% protection.
You must use safe browsing habits, and then there are no promises made.
I use AVG. With the Spybot resident shield.
Kaspersky is very good because they update thier Data every 2 hours. (I just do not like the sound it makes when it finds an infection).
Norton, and Mcafee suck wind!

Edited by hfcg, 29 January 2008 - 05:36 AM.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts

:)

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I don't quite like AVG because it seems to produce more flase positives than other AVs.

Here is something I experienced, it's up to you if you want to belief it or not :)

Ok, one day while using my AVG free edition, a message pop-ed up, I think a trojan was detected, I found that it was the AVG setup file I kept in my folder! I had no idead why or how, but i stopped using AVG from then on...

NOD32 is not bad, but it seems to only delete viruses instead of disinfect them, so if you encounter a virus that won't budge by normal means, you will keep getting pop ups stating that you have a virus and you have to remove it the harder way...

@hfcg
I don't know about McAFee, but I know Norton is a very greedy memory pig.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

I don't know about McAFee, but I know Norton is a very greedy memory pig.

Mcafee is a resource hog, and does not work as well as Avast, AVG,....the list goes on.
The best one I have encountered, some one brought thier computer in because it was slow and would freeze up.
They had; Norton, Mcafee, and AVG on the machine! No infection just an ID 10 T error.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I've been using NOD32 for a number of years now, and I've never encountered your experience, Dr. Inferno. It will quarantine files, but if it can't disinfect them it will give you the option to delele them. I've never had it continue to notify me about infections - it sounds like you had gotten infected by something that couldn't be disinfected by normal means.

NOD32 is light on resources and extremely effective. It updates multiple times a day, and I have it set up at home and in the office I support to automatically submit files for evaluation - I figure this can only help further the fight against malware.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
NOD32 here. Quiet, light and effective.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I use AVG...
but for clients that use IM and/or P2P programs I recommend Avast because
Avast features a module for the protection of IM (Instant Messaging, "chat") programs, and a module for the protection of P2P (peer-to-peer) programs. The list of supported IM and P2P programs is extensive with more than 30 programs currently supported.

While chat itself would not impose any serious security risks in terms of viruses, today's IM applications are far from being just chatting tools: most of them support more or less sophisticated file sharing methods - which may quite easily lead to virus infections, if not properly monitored.

The P2P protection module doesn't need much explanation - on today's P2P networks (such as Kazaa) there are thousands of infected files, and an effective protection is a must.
Avast is the only AV I'm aware of that does scan Instant Messages

Advertisements

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
I've been using Panda at home and office for years now and touch wood,not a infection once.I like it,because it runs by itself and does'nt hoog memory!Every now&then i do a "online scan"(a thing i've picked up from you guy's)and the results are always the same:your computer is clean!I'm not a computer genius and to stupid & lazy to rely on a free anti virus program alone,so i rather pay!And to be 100%sure,in the true greek tradition i have a bundle of garlic and a bottle of holy water hanging behind the monitor :)

Edited by zorba the geek, 29 January 2008 - 11:43 AM.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts

NOD32 is not bad, but it seems to only delete viruses instead of disinfect them

Whats it supposed to do? If its a virus and doesnt belong on your computer, why would you want it disinfected. If your talking a file infecter where legit files are appended, then you won't find many AV's that will clean it, if any at all. The real job of an antivirus is to keep these things from installing in the first place. Look at the Malware forum, if they were good at removing things, it wouldn't be full of people

And to be 100%sure,in the true greek tradition i have a bundle of garlic and a bottle of holy water hanging behind the monitor

Thats funny :)

And what Sari said :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

:)

I quite agree.

I like NOD32 because it's got good detection and it's light on resources; Kaspersky of course has the best detection, and it's my favorite.

Unfortunately, I can't exactly *cough*afford*cough* Kaspersky, so I have AntiVir. It's pretty sweet :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Norton has improved slightly with their new 360 version, but they still don't justify their price, and still not the lightest products on the market, not mentioning low detection rates...

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Unfortunately, I can't exactly *cough*afford*cough* Kaspersky, so I have AntiVir. It's pretty sweet :)

Hi Fredil!I'm just curious,what is the price of Kaspersky in the states?Here in greece it's36euros.I paid 45Euros for my Panda AntiVirus&Firewall2008(for 3 PC's)!