Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Antivirus Do You Use?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Personally, I use AVG Free and it's a great anti-virus with real time protection. :)

LT

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

Yes... I like avast!... except that its siren sounds like what I expect the US's nuclear alert siren to sound like :)

It has a siren? :)

*troy really needs new hearing aids...

Actually, the fact that you haven't heard of it really says a lot about your computer security :)

That siren almost gave me a heart attack when I first heard t... And it's worse than an air-raid siren, trust me :)

Edited by landlord, 03 February 2008 - 10:47 AM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Yes... I like avast!... except that its siren sounds like what I expect the US's nuclear alert siren to sound like

I was trying to copy a bootable FDDEL to floppy and that thing went off.
However you should hear what Kaspersky does when it finds something.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
KAV? Really?

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
It makes a siren sound.

Stinky Britches

Stinky Britches

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I've been using a Trend Micro PC-cillin package since it got high ratings in a pc mag article test three years ago. Prefer it so much more than the Norton I used years ago (never again!). Have to agree with comments I read earlier - safe surfing is the best way to go. I also do not permit instant messaging on our PC's.
I'm careful with $pending and I've found Trend Micro to be economical for a purchased package. The first year i bought it they sent me a questionnaire, and as a Thank You for replying they sent me a $50.00 Gift Certificate for Amazon.com, which was way more than I paid for the Trend Micro to begin with! The following years I've kept my eye open on techbargains.com and scoffed the next version on sale.
I'll admit - if I ever see Kaspersky on a killer sale I'll break out the plastic. But we'll have to wait and see.

Angelbabe1uk

Angelbabe1uk

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ive tried a few and always ended up going back to McAfee
The ones i tried was the dreaded Norton and even worse Zone Alarm!
Apologies to those who swear by them
I just swear at them lol :)
At the moment my new pc has a 30 day trial of McAfee 9.0 Security Centre
When thats ran out ill be installing McAfee Total Protection 2008
As i was gave it for free by a friend :)
Won't need the firewall though as my router has a firewall built in it

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
The firewall your router has built in does not provide full protection, you should use a software firewall :)

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

The firewall your router has built in does not provide full protection, you should use a software firewall :)

This is rather bold and all-inclusive, which makes it a worthless statement.

I would much rather have a router based firewall than one on the computer. Depending of course on the quality of said firewall.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Oh, and McAfee sucks just as bad as Norton. If you are paying for either you are throwing your money away when you can have Nod or KAV for very close to the same price.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Norton scans some of the IM programs and requires very little attention once installed and trained. Protection is done by default, and updates are delivered automatically. Norton is often accused of being a resource hog, but on a modern computer, it's a drop in the bucket. I plan to renew this spring, mainly because every time I try to get rid of Norton without a full format I lose my Internet connection. :)
Johanna

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I plan to renew this spring, mainly because every time I try to get rid of Norton without a full format I lose my Internet connection. :)
Johanna

:)

Sounds like you're going to renew just because you have to!

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
i use AVG anti virus..

Angelbabe1uk

Angelbabe1uk

• Pip
  • 5 posts

This is rather bold and all-inclusive, which makes it a worthless statement.

I would much rather have a router based firewall than one on the computer. Depending of course on the quality of said firewall.

The one in my router is quite a good one
Can't remember model of it but its a bt 2010 or something?
An ex friend who was an it tech did some test on it to see how strong it was and said it was fine and i didn't need the xp one or a stand alone one

Oh, and McAfee sucks just as bad as Norton. If you are paying for either you are throwing your money away when you can have Nod or KAV for very close to the same price.

I don't pay for what i can get off family for free :)

axesever

axesever

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Lets see...I use...

Avast! Home
Ad-Aware SE Pro
Spyware Blaster
Spybot Search and Destroy
SUPER Anti-spyware.

Yep.

Don't trust Norton or McAfee. I highly believe they "make-up" trojans and adware. (Believe is the key word, don't shout at me, I don't have proof, just going from experience.)