Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Awful malware!

• Please log in to reply

marik

marik

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, a friend of mine's computer (i'm helping him resolve the problem cause he's a complete computer n00b, not that i ain't :)) has a virus that has taken pretty much complete control of his computer. The virus prevents you from running any programs besides web browsers (which it has hijacked) and a few other programs like AIM and MSN messenger. as soon as you try to run e.g. hijackthis the virus stops it from executing and an error window pops up about some rundll32 error or something. so i can't run any kind of antivirus and when i connect a memory stick to the usb drive it hides the files on it over and over again so i can't view them at all times, but it is still possible to acces them and copy them over to the pc, though the virus makes it difficult. it has also disabled the right click function on the mouse, so i can't right click on anything to for example view it's properties. when i try to do an online virus scan like trend micro's housecall scan then it shuts down the web browser. so yeah the virus has pretty much taken complete control :) hope anyone can help solve this!!!

Edited by marik, 29 January 2008 - 08:21 AM.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Hello

Download ComboFix from one of the locations below, and save it to your Desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Double click combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log and a HiJackthis log in your next reply
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while its running. That may cause it to stall

marik

marik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey, when i try to run combofix then an error window pops up and says something about kmd.exe... and the program doesn't run...

oh yeah the to main errors windows that pop up seem to be kernel32.dll and sometimes kmd.exe

Edited by marik, 29 January 2008 - 08:59 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Do this

Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all other windows before proceeding.
  • Double-click on dss.exe and follow the prompts.
  • If your anti-virus or firewall complains, please allow this script to run as it is not malicious.
  • When it has finished, dss will open two Notepads main.txt and extra.txt -- please copy (CTRL+A and then CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the contents of main.txt and extra.txt in your next reply.

marik

marik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, Rorschach, my friend will be gone until next week monday, so i won't be able to send you any feedback until then because i won't have access to his computer. Sorry about this, guess you can take a brake until then :) Thank you for your help until now and I really hope this problem can be solved!