Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NEED HELP PLEASE

• Please log in to reply

Keeb Daddy

Keeb Daddy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi again...

My dad has an old eMachines C2825, AMD Sempron (?) processor, 512 mb ram, not much else to talk about... the problem is this: the machine powers on, the monitor powers on, but there is no visual... the monitor waits for it's signal, then goes into standby when it gets none... we've tried three known-good monitors, and it appears the video card is in place... we swapped in a different video card, but got nothing out of it...

is there somewhere I can look at a schematic of his motherboard, so I know what is supposed to go where??? I have a feeling something is in the wrong spot...

or, being an eMachine, the motherboard is done for... plain and simple...

any help???

thanks!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here for eMachines support ...

you could also get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd ...if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

Edited by happyrck, 29 January 2008 - 12:11 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most eMachines are fit only for the dustbin. The damage their PSUs cause to their boards, it could stand up in a court of law in various jurisdictions - selling machines with faulty power supplies that have known faults. However having said that, when it goes on sale it has to be fit for purpose so the fact the things die after average three years wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Easiest solution is to change the power supply and change the board. Both will be better quality that the items that are in there at the moment.

Keeb Daddy

Keeb Daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
well, like I said... it is my dad's comp... he got it second-hand, and knows next to nothing about them... I'm just trying to help him out... I also suggested to buy something else, but if he could afford a better unit he would have a better unit...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need to buy something else (as in, you don't need to buy an entire new computer). Just replace the motherboard for one that takes the same processor type and memory, and also replace and the power supply. You can keep everything else but you'll need to do a Windows Repair from an XP CD.

Edited by Neil Jones, 30 January 2008 - 06:00 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try puppy linux yet...