Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS Down

• Please log in to reply

atirey

atirey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I rec'd. the following message when I turned on my Dell which runs on OS XP 2000:
A problem has been detected & windows has shut down to prevent damage to your PC.
Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk fragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Rund CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
***STOP: 0X00000024 (0X001960203, 0X82F735B8, 0XC000102, 0X00000000).

I tried to reboot using the OS XP disk, then tried Windows 95. The PC did not recognize the disk drive. I am unable to access a system prompt; therefore, I cannot run CHKDSK/F. I am unable to start in safe mode.

Please help.

Thank you.

Atirey

Advertisements

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Hello, I found this article: http://www.techspot..../topic5352.html

atirey

atirey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much. I'll check it out.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
You are welcome, I'm here to help :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Does the hard drive still shows in BIOS Setup. If it doesn't show there then nothing else you do is going to work and would indicate that the drive is defective.

You can download the diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturer's web site, create a bootable CD and run it to see if the drive is good or bad.

atirey

atirey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks!