Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommended Antivirus promgram

• Please log in to reply

tennistm

tennistm

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I have tried several Antivirus progams and haven't like any of them. I tried Windows Live Care....didn't seem to do a good job.
I tried Trend Micro....TERRIBLE customer service.

Do you have any recommendations for a program that includes firewall, antivirus, spyware, etc.....either free or commercial?
Or, is it bettter not to load them as a "packaged" program and just run seperatly. If so, what do you recommend?
I am not real computer literate so I need something fairly simple.

Thanks,
Tim

Advertisements

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
This list is full of great tools and utilities to help you keep from getting infected:

[*]Spybot Search & Destroy - Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.

[*]AdAware - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.

[*]SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.

[*]SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.

[*]IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.

[*]ATF Cleaner - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.

[*]Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.

[*]Google Toolbar - Free google toolbar that allows you to use the powerful Google search engine from the bar, but also blocks pop up windows.

[*]Trillian or Miranda-IM - These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)[/list]

Edited by AgentMES, 29 January 2008 - 01:33 PM.

tennistm

tennistm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
thanks for the info....I'll try some.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts