Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Defender and Spybot S&D simultaneously?

• Please log in to reply

Peter Mac

Peter Mac

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have used both Spybot Search and Destroy and Windows Defender. These apps offer similar types of protection
Has anyone experienced any trouble running both of them simultaneously or do they conflict with each other?

Advertisements

Peter Mac

Peter Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I should follow this up with another question.
I am looking for everyone's current recommendations on the ideal Windows XP spyware/virus defense system.

In the past I've used:

1. Java Cool Software Spyware Blaster
2. Lava soft adaware
3. Spybot search and destroy with Tea Timer
4. A free firewall/anti virus (I've used Macafee--free with my ISP--and AVG. Both worked well)
5. Mozilla Firefox for browsing

I am reinstalling Windows XP on a computer for a friend. I want to load all of my shields to protect the PC as much as possible.

So...what are the latest suggestions for the products at the top of list this year?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
They'll be fine together. Windows Defender isn't the super-duper be-all-and-end-all program that Microsoft claims it is anyway. In fact under Vista severe infections that it finds (if it actually finds anything) get ripped out straight away before you get the opportunity.

Peter Mac

Peter Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks. What about a current list of recommended anti spyware shields?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
All I can do is tell you what I use. Others will have their own recommendations.

AVG Free Anti-virus
Comodo Firewall
Spybot Search & Destroy (no Tea-timer)
Spyware Blaster

I have AdAware 2007 and keep it up to date but have not run it in a year and a half or more.

The biggest protection is that I sit behind a hardware firewall that is part of my Wireless Router.

I don't use any P2P or torrent software.
I don't install anything I'm not 100% sure of.
I use SeaMonkey Suite for browser and E-mail, IE only when absolutely necessary.

Forgot: Every couple months I run one of these online scanners. They all require you to use Internet Explorer because they need to install an ActiveX component to run the scan unfortunately:

Edited by Ztruker, 29 January 2008 - 09:21 PM.

Peter Mac

Peter Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
why no Tea Timer?

turn 5

turn 5

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

why no Tea Timer?

Tea Timer is a resource hog.

I use.

AVG Free
Comodo firewall
SuperAntispyware.
Spybot.
ThunderBird antispam filter.

And I always do a cleaning every month.

Edited by turn 5, 30 January 2008 - 04:18 AM.

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
In the past this combo kept me very clean:
Norton Internet Security on high settings (slowed down system)
Spybot S&D (no tea-timer)
Ad-Aware (free personal)
SpywareBlaster

Currently running, and the verdict is still out:
Avast Free
Windows Firewall (in the process of choosing something better)
SpywareBlaster (:) loyal to this one forever)
SuperAntiSpyware

Browsers:
Firefox (:) love)
SeaMonkey (:) love)
IE 7 (use occasionally and like much better than 6)

Considering::
Eset Smart Security (wish list)
Spyware Terminator (for real-time protection)
A sandbox - if I stick to the current setup
(opinions and advice on these please)

Looking for:
Free banner & flash ad blocker

Edit: I should add that I'm sort of in the same boat as Peter Mac and I'm looking for opinions too. My arsenal is not complete yet. I no longer would necessarily recommend the combo I used with so much success in the past.

Edited by mintchip, 30 January 2008 - 06:58 AM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
I use AVG. (but am looking at Avast because it offers IM protection) as well as Spybot-with the tea timer.
Yes the tea timer uses more resources, but I like the protection.
I suggest that you use a router for the hardware Firewall protection.
But you must use safe browsing habits as NO security programs can offer 100% protection.
Kaspersky is one of the top security suites offered for sale, I have not had a problem in years using the free software.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hmmm, I can't remember now why i don't use TeaTimer? I believe it was causing me some aggravation with some apps I ran but really not sure any more. CRS strikes again!

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Hmmm, I can't remember now why i don't use TeaTimer? I believe it was causing me some aggravation with some apps I ran but really not sure any more. CRS strikes again!

:) :) :)
A couple of days age I had to go back in to my apt. to get my keys. They where in my hand the whole time :) :) :)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I just diabled Tea timer because it seems to conflict with the Avast that I just installed.
My computer is running much better now.
So it is basicly a user choice, unless there is a conflict with another security program.

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I'm running Avast and like it, but feel like I need some real-time spyware protection. Am I wrong? I'm feeling a bit naked, but I'm concerned about conflicts as well. I want to try Spyware Terminator (does anyone have opinions on this app?), but if Tea Timer conflicts, then what are the chances that most everything else will too?

Peter Mac

Peter Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Has anyone used PC Tools SPyware doctor? Any thoughts on how well it works?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I use AVAST and consider it superior to AVG free in every aspect. I used AVG for a long time but really got disappointed with 7.5 version. It's simply not good enough. I use AVAST to clean viruses from computers that had AVG installed. I also had several cases in which AVG got corrupted and it was practically impossible to remove it, what ever I did.

For manual scans I use AVG Antispyware (the free option) I consider it an excelent program. I also use Spybot 1.4 (don't install the newer version. It's awfull) which, in my opinion is a must in every computer.

There are two programs that I don't use anymore: Ad-Aware, the new version is awfull. The older vesion (SE) was stable but useless. It doesn't add anything to the programs I already use. The other is Spyware Blaster. Excuse my ignorence but I don't know what this program is doing. It doesn't give any feedback and as far as I am concerened it's nothing but an icon on the desktop. Sometime ago I placed in the malware forum a topic asking what this program is good for. I never got any reply.

Regarding Spyware Terminator: I used it for quite a while and considered it a lovely tool. At a certain point they had very serious problem with the software which started wiping off system files. It was so bad that the only solution was to clear format. Also, for some reason, it bloated itself to about 2 GIG of hard disk volume!!! I deleted it as fast as I could.

Regarding firewall, I happily use microsoft's. It's an excellent product for inbound traffic but doesn't control outbound traffic. as a matter of fact I wonder why it should. I'ts very light on resources and doesn't require any settings. In my opinion the vast majority of the users don't need anything better.

Edited by The Skeptic, 31 January 2008 - 11:16 AM.