Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to access an AcomData USB hard drive over the LAN

• Please log in to reply

Peter Mac

Peter Mac

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have an Acomdata USB hard drive connected to a Windows XP Pro computer.
I can view the data just fine on the USB drive when I'm logged into Windows XP Pro.

I ran Acronis TI 9 Boot Loader on another Windows XP Home Computer.
Acronis TI 9 has a Linux shell that loads the software.
When I tried to access the Acomdata USB drive it asked me for a user name and password on the Acomdata drive.
I don't have a password for the drive so I was stuck.

Next, I tried accessing the USB hard drive from Windows XP home through My Network Places.
Now it just says:

\\XPProPc\HD Part (H)\ is not accessible. You might NOT have permission to use this network resource. COntact the administrator to find out of if you have access permissions.

Both computer users are COmputer Administrators. Does this have something to do with XP Home trying to connect to XP Pro? Keep in mind my Linux shell of Acronis TI 9 also didn't have permission.

Any super geeks out there with any ideas?

Acomdata won't help me. They said they know the drive has all sorts of configuration issues when networked. They said it can work if someone knows enough, but they won't provide any support for it. They only support access from the PC it's connected to.

Advertisements

Peter Mac

Peter Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
One more comment--my Windows XP home computer can connect to EVERY OTHER shared resource on the XP pro machine. It is only the USB drive connected to the XP pro machine that it doesn't have permission to see.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If I remember correctly, it's difficult to share external USB drives because the permissions keep getting lost each time you disconnect/power off the drive. I know with the Ext USB 250 I had connected to my Desktop, I had to set the permissions each time I turned it on to do a backup or my laptop could not use it.

Perhaps if I always left it powered on and connected it would maintain the permissions but since I only had it one when I wanted to use it they had to be reset each time.

Peter Mac

Peter Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

If I remember correctly, it's difficult to share external USB drives because the permissions keep getting lost each time you disconnect/power off the drive. I know with the Ext USB 250 I had connected to my Desktop, I had to set the permissions each time I turned it on to do a backup or my laptop could not use it.

Perhaps if I always left it powered on and connected it would maintain the permissions but since I only had it one when I wanted to use it they had to be reset each time.

Yeah, I've heard this too. I've heard there is a major disadvantage of using NTSF vs. FAT 32 with USB drives. Some people recommend using FAT32 in case you move the unit around a lot. What's puzzling is my XP pro machine sees it just fine every time. I wonder if it remembers the password from another hookup. oh well...