Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista can't connect to router

• Please log in to reply

Maxx Lenoxx

Maxx Lenoxx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi !

My main computer runs with Windows XP SP2 and I have setup a router (LinksysWRT150N). I bought a laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-NR110Q) and I'm trying to connect to my WLAN network. I entered every information (SSID, SPK Personal, Key, etc). My WLAN switch is on. But still, I can't connect. When I hit "repair" I receive a message saying that there might be a problem with network card. When I look under "Network connexions" in Windows Vista, I see my connexion and under the "Wireless connexion network" there's a message "Trying authentification". So sounds like the switch of the WLAN is turned on byt the media is not turned on in my machine... anyone could help me please!

Maxx

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Vista can talk to wireless routers, both wired and wired, out of the box subject to appropriate hardware being available and installed correctly.
Most wireless connectivity problems are caused by incorrect capitalisation, wrong passwords or "fat finger syndrome" aka pressing the wrong keys.
Your error message means the access key for your network is wrong.

Maxx Lenoxx

Maxx Lenoxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I copied it directly from the router setup website... can't be wrong. I understand that most of the time it must be the reason but in this case, it's not.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Um, if your network security key is on a website then you're probably doing something wrong.

Most routers out of the box come with unsecured wireless network. You only need a username and password when you log into the router, not when you connect to it wireless. So if this is the first time you're using this router, it shouldn't be asking for anything just to connect to the router.

Edited by Neil Jones, 29 January 2008 - 06:16 PM.

Maxx Lenoxx

Maxx Lenoxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Found the problem... for a reason I don't understand, the encryption works on TKIP and not on AES for my laptop... weird...