Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hooking up additional surround sound speakers through A/V Receiver?

• Please log in to reply

UncleTimmy

UncleTimmy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

Hopefully I can explain this as well as possible since I know its probably a fairly easy task, assuming I have proper compatibility.

I would like to hook my TEAC (AG-V8050 Audio Video Surround Receiver) to my existing speaker installation. The existing speakers I have are 4 (2 x 2 speakers literally connected to each other) Premier computer speakers hooked up to a small subwoofer, also Premier, with typical audio (red/white) jacks which transfer into a normal PC sound card jack. I then have 2 RCA surround sound speakers I would also like to hook up to the mix. Will this be compatible with my sound card? Its some onboard sound card but it states on the motherboard box that it supports 6channel sound with the proper codecs/drivers.

I dont know if this relevant to these forums, but I was also wondering if anyone had a quick guide on how to hook up my setup. Audio cables (red/white) hooked up to receiver and then receiver to subwoofer? Could I hook up the surround speakers to the A/V receiver on the Left/Right channels?

I couldnt find much on the search engines. Any help is much appreciated.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You should be able to connect your computer output to the input of the A/C receiver. I don't know if it would be able to decode the signal or not though, but you would get auto out. I am not sure of all the connections out, but it should be the audio out.

How you connect the subwoofer depends on the A/V receiver. Does it have a separate output for a subwoofer? Does the subwoofer have an input or does it just connect through the other speakers?

If the A/V receiver can handle multiple speakers, then you could also connect those.

UncleTimmy

UncleTimmy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I connected the sound card output to the Aux In (Ive tried Phono In as well) but then I realized that there was no Audio output that I could see. This doesnt make sense since this seems like a typical A/V receiver. The closest thing to Output I saw was VCR output which also has Input, so I connected the cables accordingly, presumably. (Sound card Out to VCR In - VCR Out to Subwoofer In). The ¨satellite speakers¨ are connected to the subwoofer with small speaker wire. When I fumble around with the sound cables on the A/V receiver I hear static noises in the speakers, so I dont know if Im making some kind of connection or what. I have music player running so I know when I get it right.

I could probably hook the satellite computer speakers directly up to the receiver, but then they wouldnt be connected to the subwoofer...

Im not so hot with this audio/speaker stuff but hopefully I can learn and this thread will also help others.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There should be a monitor out or something like that.

The phono is a different type of input and will not work except for a phonograph.

Do you have the A/V selected on the AUX? You should be able to use any audio input (other than phono).

UncleTimmy

UncleTimmy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you Kemasa!

I dont know if this is the totally correct way, but I put the Line-Out from my computer to the receiver in Auxiliary In and then the Output from ¨VCR 1¨, which is the only Output for audio I could find, into the Subwoofer Line-In. The VCR Out might be different on certain Audio/Video receivers, like you said. May be Monitor Out. Anyone else trying this you will need a 1/8¨ audio adapter for the sound card Line Out. But Im sure you would figure that one out fairly quickly.

Both surround sound speakers are hooked up to Center with Pro-Logic on the Receiver enabled. I dont know if this qualifies as Surround sound but Im just glad I got it working.

Thanks again!

Edited by UncleTimmy, 29 January 2008 - 09:02 PM.