Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting laptop and desktop together

• Please log in to reply

ChrisMW

ChrisMW

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, so I'm not computer literate, but I'm a good listener, and I think I've found out enough information to ask this question.

Right. My desktop pc is connected to the internet through a USB2.0 port and a DSL-502T ADSL router. I also have an old IBM Thinkpad with USB1.1 but I connect the laptop through the same router through ethernet because I need both USB ports for other devices.

So: both can surf the internet at the same time.

The problem is, is that when I get home, I want to transfer files (ie, MS Outlook e-mail repositories, Word documents, etc) and have to use a USB stick. It's a pain at times, especially if I want to watch a DVD (the laptop doesn't have a DVD or CD reader, so I have to transfer it vob by vob and sometimes, it doesn't copy well. I've spent hours trying to put a DVD on the laptop).

Once, I lost my USB stick and had to open a new e-mail account, e-mail my documents to that account from the laptop, then download them on the desktop. Crikey!

I got to thinking the other day whether I can connect the laptop to the desktop and transfer files that way. I used the Microsoft home network wizard and completely stuffed up both machines. It took a while to get everything back to normal.

OK. So, with all my waffle, these are my questions if anybody has a clue:

1. Without buying any leads or additional software etc, how can I get access to my desktop pc with my laptop through my router, and
2. If number 1 is possible, I assume that the data is downloading - does it reduce my ISP's download cap (ie, my ISP gives me 12GB a month. If I transfer 10GB of data in a month from laptop to desktop, does that mean I only have 2GB left for the internet)?

I hope this makes some sense. I understand what I want to do but don't quite understand how to ask.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Have a look at this topic: http://www.geekstogo...ng-t102163.html

It should answer any questions you have about home networking. If you have questions, you can reply here.

As far as your second question goes, the answer is no. All traffic that goes over your router that is internal, meaning to your desktop and laptop, does not count towards your ISP cap. Only things that you download from the Internet does.