Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Various:Errorchecker, diskeeper, my music folder

• Please log in to reply

onukiddo

onukiddo

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Error checker is unable to complete.

Diskeeper will not analyze past 2 % (CPU usage drops down to nearly 0 but the busy light remains on and i can barely move my mouse but once i click on close and wait 20 seconds the CPU resumes normal activity with an intermittent busy light).

The weirdest of all is the fact that I noticed one of my favorite songs doesn't plan through WINAMP anymore and upon inspecting MY MUSIC half my music seems to be missing. The missing songs still play though through WINAMP as i have the playlist saved(just that one song doesn't work).

I haven't downloaded anything recently and safe-mode does not help.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
I think it could be a virus which is corrupting your files. The fact that you mention that the songs can still be played but it is not in the My Music folder strikes a thought in me - something set it to become hidden. Try going to My Computer > Tools > Folder Options. Select the View tab, select 'Show hidden files and folders', then 'Hide protected operating system files'.

Now, go back to My Music folder, and you should be able to see the songs.

About the other problems, I'd recommend you to select Read Before Posting A Hijackthis Log from my signature, and follow the steps there. If everything fails, post a HJT log with the instructions in the topic.

~Kelvin

onukiddo

onukiddo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
indeed all files are set to be shown. Thanks for your review. I actually posted a HJT log first then was maybe thinking it was a hard-drive issue so i figured I'd get a second opinion on this forum. Thanks for your time.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Hmm, I've seen your log and what I think is that the hard drive is failing you.

DO NOT take this as a fact, I'm stating my opinion. I haven't finished my training yet - and I may have not learnt of anything about your log yet, so hang on while a malware expert tends to you. Until then, and if the problem still persists, post back here, and I'll try to help.

~Kelvin

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
There does not appear to be anything in your HJT log that indicates any malware on your computer but please wait for one of the experts to bless it before making any changes to your computer.

One thing you can try while waiting for a response in the HJT forum is to go the the drive manufacturers web site and download their diagnostic utility, create a bootable CD from it then run it and see if it finds any problems with the drive.

onukiddo

onukiddo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Problem still persist. I backed up my important files and have determined my HDD to be IC25N030ATCS04-0 - IBM Travelstar 30GB 2.5" 4200RPM Hard Drive but I can't find a diagnostic anywhere.

Problem still persist. There were some photos I couldn't backup. I thought I had them burned to a CD but trying on a different CPU they said invalid files....so my music and photos are jacked up. No HJT log response...

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Found a diagnostic for you:

http://www.tacktech....fm?ttid=287#ibm

If you need more info about it, select the Additional Information link on that page.

~Kelvin

onukiddo

onukiddo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I checked that link and downloaded "Drive Fitness Test v4.11 b00 (10.15.2007) - CD Image" as I don't have a 3 1/2 floppy only a CD burner. So what do I do now? Do I just burn that to a CD and finalize it? Then do change my boot order to look at my CD-ROM drive first instead of the HDD?

Thanks!

entire My Music Folder appears empty now. But playlist still plays everysong...

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
It's probably a bootable CD. Just burn it onto a CD, I don't think you need finalizing.

~Kelvin

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
You don't burn the iso file to CD, use use a program that reads the iso file and burns the CD from the data it extracts.

There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this if your burner software (Roxio, Nero both handle iso files) won't do it.

onukiddo

onukiddo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i used roxio to create a bootable cd but upon rebooting it was just a blank screen with a blinking cursor. i then found an option in roxio "Burn a cd from a cd image..."

THIS OPTION WORKED! I was able to get into the diagnostic and I did the quick search which found a bad sector. It then gave me two options 1) erase the entire disk 2) repair bad sector(s) losing little to no data. I picked option 2 and after about 20 min it asked me to reboot and all is well again!

Thanks for you advice!

I learned some new things too!

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Ok then. Glad we could help.

~Kelvin