Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes even in bios

• Please log in to reply

blackajack

blackajack

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Got a new 'puter a while ago which worked fine for a while but started freezing up after a while.. It can load windows and you can start up programs if you're fast but it freezes pretty soon after welcome screen. Software problems? Malware? So did I think too at first. But the weird thing is that it freezes even if you go to bios menu. I haven't clocked it but it seems that whatever you do with it, it freezes a set time after powering up. It boots up again if you disconnect it from the power strip for a while. And freezes promptly again. :)

So, would anyone have any ideas what's the (most likely) culprit? Motherboard? Processor? Faulty memory?

Can't send the whole thing back since I built it myself and the store will receive only separate parts. Or should I just pester them to take the mboard/memory/processor back(they at least have spare parts for finding out what is faulty..)

Kingston 2048MB 750MHZ DDR2 DIMM CL4 NON
Tricod Longitude ATX-6057L-1 case
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB UltraATA
Connect3D Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB DDR II
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ boxed prosessori, 2.
LG GSA-H20LB 16x IDE DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
Asus M2N-E AM2 NF570 Ultra ATX - motherboard

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
This may be a heat issue.
  • Please remove the heatsink\fan assembly.
  • Apply fresh thermal grease.
  • Install the heatsink\fan assembly back on to your processor.
If the computer still freezes up you may have to use a thermal pad.
Thank you.