Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Server 2003 DNS help

• Please log in to reply

ssalter

ssalter

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
:tazz: I currently have 2 servers, 2003 stnd OS, and one is set up with active directory and is a DNS server (i think Ive set it up correctly) is is a .local so it is in itself its dns server, i use nslookup and can see both computers (each) and when i follow the steps to set up active directory as a Child domain in an existing forest, I amasked for the network credentials, I enter the info as needed *user name*password and in the Domain I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun as far as the ip address even of the other server (static) and set the tcp/ip to use the server that i am tring to join the domain of as the DNS server and continue to get the error message of:
An Active Directory domain controler for the domain ********* could not be contacted.
An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain ***********
The error was: "No records found for given DNS query."
(error code 0x0000251D DNS_INFO_NO_RECORDS)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.***********

For more information, click Help.
I am going nuts tring to figure this out. ;)

as I said using nslookup I can see both ways, yet I cannot join the domain.
I am lost. If you have any info on this or even have an idea please post it and all input is appreciated.
All acces is performed through remote desktop and I have set up 25 users and 4 data bases and all is workin fine except for this...ugggg

ssalter

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Are you really setting up a child domain for a 25 user system? Why would you do that? Maybe I am missing something here.

On the credentials your supplying when asked for network, are they credentials of a Domain Administrator?

Your using 2003--it sounds like you are not using Active Directory to store DNS, but are doing it the old 2000 way...sounds like, anyway. Why?

This seems very muddled...I'm sure you just mistepped along the way, somewhere, and are feeling frustrated, but I cannot make heads nor tails out of where you are and what your goal is...

ssalter

ssalter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Maybe I am going about this wrong, I am completely new to the server system,(3 months in) Ill admit that. I have managed to make it this far without trouble. :tazz: As for what I am trying to accomplish, I am using one server as a data base server and trying to use the second to host ‘share point’, and my thoughts were to add the second server to the domain that the first is in, and be able to grant access to the ‘share point’ site to guests and from there be able to create links that would access the data that is on the first server. And to grant users of the first server access to the second. Since I have 2 servers I am trying to ‘network’ them and maybe I am going about this wrong, I sure would appreciate some more input, if nothing else to point me in the right direction. When I say that I have 25 users on the one server that is for now, that is for 5 offices and have plans to add an additional 15 offices and 50-60 users, while trying to maintain the data bases on one server and keep it fairly dedicated to the databases while giving the other sever the opportunity to host the ‘share point’ functions.
I hope that gave you a little more insight as to what my goals are and why I am trying to do this.
The credentials that I am supplying are that of a domain administrator, as to using active directory to store DNS I am unsure as to what you mean, please explain a little, I have set up the first domain and it lists itself as ‘.local’ as far as I understand this means that it is serving itself for the DNS, when I look for it with the other computer I have tried to use the IP address for the domain name hoping that would allow it to connect, but that has not worked I have tried to the best of my ability and am just missing it I am sure, I am willing to listen to all on this and humbly ask for help……………..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I almost think we're going to have to start from scratch here because we're not talking about the same thing.

First, it's only fair to warn you that I know nothing about share point...haven't touched it so I'm a little dicey on giving you advice.

That said, I believe you're starting off on the wrong foot.

First, you've got your first server set up and it is your domain controller with active directory, dns, maybe dhcp, correct.

You should set up your second machine as a member server...it sounds like you are not doing that...though you could be and are just not phrasing it that way...so...is that what you are doing, or are you doing something else.

Sharepoint then (i think) installs on the member server after it is installed.

ssalter

ssalter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yes the server is set up with active directory-integrated, DNS but no dhcp, both servers have static IP’s. Maybe I am phrasing this all wrong I simply want to have access to the second server from the first and vice versa. These are remote servers and I do not have access to them, and I want to network them that’s it, since one is set up with active directory and has a domain name I figured it should be easy enough to join the other to the same domain and am finding that to be not as easy as I expected. As ive read I am trying to utilize DNS (in admin tools) and provide forward and reverse lookup zones, this is what the other computer is needing to reconcile connection. (ugg) each time that I try to either set up active directory on the second server or join the domain of the first, I cannot find an active directory domain controller for the domain I specify. Yet it is there. Again, I appreciate the help and if you need more info please just ask, Ive done all of this from scratch and am just learning the system, so I am probably not speaking the right “language”. Don’t worry about the share point part of this it is a secondary issue for me right now and I believe that I have it under control.
Thanks again.