Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU temperature all over the place

• Please log in to reply

Firefighter41s

Firefighter41s

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, my computer started acting funny yesterday. I'm not too savvy with these things but I knew where to start.
This is what happened. THere was a loud beep from the motherboard, a minute later there was another one, then the computer shut off. After researching a little I decided it was overheating, so I cleaned all the dust out and made sure that all the fans were running. I turned the computer back on and after a while the same thing happened.

So I went to the blue screen and watched the temperature, this is where it gets weird. The CPU temp was at about 41C and the CPU fan was about 2500 RPM's. Then the temp went to 122C for 1 second the computer beeps and then the temp went to (-) 58C then back to 41C. For the most part it sits at 41C and only briefly zips around (while everything is just sitting there no processes running).

THen I decided the Temp gauge was screwed up so I disabled the temp warnings and shutdown to see what would happen. The computer would turn on and all would go well but eventually the keyboard would freeze up but the mouse would still work, however when it came time to shut the computer down it would freeze in shutdown mode. After a rest and turning it back on it would go through the same situation. At not ime does the temperature stay too high when monitoring that its only when it hovers in the 120 something range for a bit that the keyboard freezes or that the computer would shut down if so enabled.

My thoughts are that it could somehow be the motherboard, the heatsink fan, or a power supply issue.

Don't have all the specs on my computer as I'm at work but its a duo core intel pent 4, on a foxconn motherboard I think it has a 400W power supply and I've had it for 18 months and all has been fine. Its the massive fluctuations that have me confused, and it would be nice if it would work as well.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks,
Dave.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Sounds as if the heatsink is loose, touch the case to remove static from your self then grab the heatsink if you can pull up on one side or the other then thats the problem. See if you can reattach it or if something is broken. If you can reattach it and its tight, great,but you should clean and reapply thermal paste

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

cleaned all the dust out and made sure that all the fans were running. I turned the computer back on and after a while the same thing happened.

Did you leave the covers off the PC to see if the fan on the CPU actually starts up and stays running normally? I has one that would start, then slow down. Replacing fan cured the problem.

If you are sure it isn't a fan, you may have a bad temp sensor attached to the cpu.

Ron