Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA harddrive not recognized in BIOS

• Please log in to reply

sladevi

sladevi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I put together a new computer recently and everything seems to work fine, except that the new SATA harddrive is not recognized by the BIOS. Under the CMOS section the corresponding entry says nothing. Normally it says "[ None]" or it says "[drivename]" but for the port the SATA drive is plugged in to it says "", so no name and not even the "None" not even the "[]". Since it is not showing up in the BIOS this is clearly not a driver issue, correct? I am not certain that the BIOS is at the second (and latest) version, if not I plan to flash it tonight, but the changelist didn't seem to mention anything that might affect this.

My SATA related settings are:
SATA RAID/AHCI: Disabled
SATA Port Native Mode: Enabled
Onboard SATA/IDE Device: Enabled
Onboard SATA/IDE Control Mode: IDE

I have tried these at many different settings, yet these are the ones I feel should work, even though they don't.

The harddrive supports 3.0Mb/s and the jumper setting is set for that. I also plan to test the drive using a SATA to USB converter tonight in order to make sure that it works and that it isn't the drive's fault. I can hear the drive spinning up though, so I know the drive is getting power. I have tested a different cable to the drive and I have tested plugging a different SATA drive (a DVD drive) into the
same slot the harddrive was in, so I know it isn't the cable and I know it's not the SATA port on the motherboard. I have tried plugging the SATA harddrive into SATAII0 and SATAII0 and GSATAII1 (I tried a master slot of each of the 2 controllers on the board, and one slave slot), and had the same result, it showed up in BIOS on each of the respective ports as "". I have my two old IDE drives in there (though I have also tested it out with the IDE harddrives unplugged, and it made no difference), and I have windows installed temporarily on one of those though my end goal is to put windows on the SATA drive. I went in to windows and installed the motherboard supplied SATA drivers just for the heck of it, but it had no effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P
Harddrive: Western Digital 750GB SATA2 WD7500AAKS

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The hard drive might support SATA 2 but does the board?
Well its the P35 chipset so it should do.
But anyway, put the drive back in SATA 1 mode and see what happens.

sladevi

sladevi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah I forgot to mention that the board supports 3.0mb/s as well (and 1.5mb/s).

I did try setting the drive to 1.5 mb/s, it didn't come with jumpers, but I used a staple, it didn't have any noticeable effect.

I believe the harddisk is broken though -- I used the SATA to USB converter to test it out on other computers -- PC's didn't show the drive in My Computer or in the disk manager to format it, my iBook found it and called it a 2TB drive and failed to format it, so I am sending it in to get a replacement.