Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair install windows xp

• Please log in to reply

WDT

WDT

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi folks,
This is my first post and I am hoping that you will be able to help me with my problem.
My daughter has been having problems with IE Explorer freezing and everything that I have been advised to do has not rectified the problem. I have been advised to do a repair install but when I get to the setup screen the repair option R is not available. Also the master drive C along with the slave drive F is showing under disc drives in my computer but the C drive has changed to J at the setup screen.
At setup the J drive states J ;; partition {ntfs} 152647MB {132807 Free} and underneath unpartiioned space 8MB.
I dont know where this unpartitiond space has come from but would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction in solving this problem.
Thanking you in anticipation wdt

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
repair install is a little "over the top" if its just an i/e issue. what version of ie? if its 7, uninstall it from your add and remove programs. ie will revert back to 6. see if that helps before you do the repair install.if your not sure of the version click on help in the ie menu bar it'll tell you there

WDT

WDT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Many thanks for your reply. the IE explorer was 7 but I have already reverted back to IE6 but the web pages still freeze after a few minutes. I have tried various suugestions including removindg all addons and startup programs and installed firefox browser but nothingseems to repair the problem,hence the repair install which again I am unable to do as the C drive is not being recognised when I get to the setup screen. wdt

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
is the whole computer locking up or just when your on the internet? what about just normal usage? is there freezage?<<<(not sure if thats a word) :) what type of internet connection do you have.?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When you installed FireFox, did it work or did it also freeze or is this a problem with Internet Explorer only?

If it's IE only, then try repairing it as follows:

Open Windows Explorer or My Computer, navigate to C:\Windows\inf

Locate the file IE.INF (not IE.PNF). Right-click on it, select Install from the context menu.

Edit: The inf folder may be hidden so do the following first:

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

If FireFox had the same problem then I would suggest running the Winsock Repair Tool.

Edited by Ztruker, 30 January 2008 - 09:28 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

I get to the setup screen the repair option R is not available

If you are using a recovery disc you will not have the Recovory console.
This feature is not usualy available on OEM disc as well.
krmooo is correct, An over the top repair is extream for a browser problem.

WDT

WDT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Many thanks for your suggestions again. Firefox also freezes after a short time just like IE.
I have tried to run winsock as suggested but it will not let me . I get a box appearing saying c:\documents and settings \ekk\local settings\temp internet files\content\yix5mciv\winsockxpfix[1]exe is not a validwin 32application.
Have you any suggestions on how I may download this application? Many thanks again wdt

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You may have a Rootkit, or other nasty infections.
Please go here to learn about infections, and how to clean them.

WDT

WDT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hfcg,
Many thanks for your last comment. Ihave tried to download and scanthe panasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan but before tactive scan can complete the ie explorer freezes after about 3/4mins [active scan requires about 6 mins] This happens every time i load active scan.I have triedscanning with Prevxcsifree and antispyware but theyboth say the computer is free of infections. Is there anything else that I might try in order to solve this freezing problem.
Many yhanks again for your constant suggestions. wdt

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Since firefox is having the same issue this is not an IE problem.
RATS, Do you have realy important DATA (documents, pictures, music) on this computer?
If so, can you back them up to CD\DVD?
In your case it may be time to restore your computer from the restore disc.
(I believe that you have a serious problem).

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello WDT...

Post in the Malware forum explaining your problems to the experts. Make sure to mention that you suspect a rootkit virus in the topic title. They should be able to make some recommendations to you on how to proceed.

wannabe1

WDT

WDT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Folks,
Sorry for the delay in replying to all the suggestions put forward trying to solve my problem. As I was not getting very far I decided to back up all the important documents photos etc, and re installed windows and I am happy to report that so far everything is working great and able to scan the internet without any problems.
I would like to thank everyone for their help and contributions in solving the problem with freezing web pages. Many thanks again wdt