Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor going to sleep

• Please log in to reply

lleino

lleino

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:) I Have an HP D4100Y with XP OS. I downloaded a flying game from REAL Arcade for husband and after a short play time, the monitor went to sleep.
I was able to press ctrl/esc and use windows. But DH really wanted that game so I tried again to download--then after short play monitor went to sleep and I could not wake up. Went to HP tech support; its your monitor--ordered new monitor--same problem
Its your sound card--replaced sound card---same problem
Had me take out and put in internal battery--remove and replace memory and a few other things. I guess you need a
new computor.
I have the recovery discs I burned--But they don't seem to auto run and I can't see anything to run manually. Any suggestions?
Also before calling HP- i uninstalled game and windows would start and then say i was missing some dll files.

Edited by lleino, 30 January 2008 - 03:17 PM.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
you can control XP's power options to enable or disable many things.... go
to the control panel and go to POWER OPTIONS.as far as the dll files goes Open the Command Prompt and type in: SFC /SCANNOW (SFC = System File Checker) and hit "enter". (Important: Make
sure there is a space between the ' C ' and the ' / ' , otherwise it won't work)

Have your XP CD available since you will be prompted to insert it in the CD drive. The
SFC process will take approximately 20 minutes or so to complete.

2) Afterward, I would recommend performing a Checkdisk (previously known as Scandisk):

Open the Command Prompt again and type in: CHKDSK /F /R , and hit "enter", answer Yes to the
question and reboot your computer.

3) After the above operations have completed, run Defrag

Edited by krmooo, 30 January 2008 - 04:02 PM.

lleino

lleino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
After following HPs tech support, I cannot get any visable on monitor--like computor is blank.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
is this the new one hp said to replace? does it come on at all or stays blank even when you first turn your pc on. does the power light turn green then yellow? does your pc seem like its booting up?check your video card make sure its seated properly. check the connector make sure its all nice and tight. try the old monitor if you still have it

lleino

lleino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I returned the new monitor as it was doing the same as the one I have. Turn it on--light is green--then says monitor going to sleep and turns yellow.
Next HP tech guy said to disconnect cable to computor and turn on and it displayed--check cable-no cable connected. so he said it wasnot the monitor--but the computor. Before calling HP at all- computor would boot, but say it was missing dll files(after uninstalling flying game from RealArcade). I was sure it was a software problem--but HP tech support had me do so many different hardware checks--that now I have nothing. Yesterday I downloaded
pebuilder3110A (from linked page from this site) and put that in and turned on. Computor acts like it is reading disk and then shuts off automattically and then starts again--then off-on-off-on till I manually shut off.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you use an xp installation disk to create BartPE bootable CD? Are you sure you made it right?

I am convinced that the problem is of software origin unless a bad coincidence caused a hardware failure at the same time that you installed the game.

The best way to test this assumption is to try and run the computer on an operating system other then the one installed. BartPE is a very good for this purpose so double check if you made it right. If you succeed, please look for the check disk option and run a scan of the hard disk.

I would also run a DOS based program that will serve a double purpose: Test the computer's general usability and test, specifically, crucial components. Use the link in my signature to download Microsoft Memory Diagnostic tool. Create a bootable CD, make sure the CD drive is first priority boot device (if it isn't already) and boot with the new disk. Run the memory test at least for an hour and report if there are any errors. We want to see if the computer will be stable for the duration of the test.

lleino

lleino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I just checked inside again and moved memory to the black instead of green slots--also noticed that the jumper didn't look on right.(HP tech had me move it and then move it back). Turned computor on and it stays running but nothing appears on screen, and it gives a beep and then quiet and then beep again, etc. HP Tech had me remove all memory and replace one at time in different spots and then he decided the computor was shot. After he hung up I had to put things back. I have the solid color of the memory facing toward the front of tower and the part with the metal sections facing rear of computor. Is that correct?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Every memory module has a notch at the bottom that must fit into a little projection inside the slot. Please remove all memory modules, use only one and set it into the slot closest to the cpu. Sit it firmly in place but do not use excessive force. Make sure the side locks sit in the grooves at side f the module.

2: What jumper are you talking about? There are only two that are of interest to us: The one at the back of the hard drive and the one near the cmos battery. Have you touched any of them? If yes, do the fillowing as a first step: disconnect the power to the computer, open the box and see where the cmos-clearing jumper is. It should sit on a basis that has three pins. The jumper always sit on the central pin and on one of the side pins. If, after reinstalling the memory the computer doesn't responde, move the cmos jumper to it's alternative position and reboot.

3: Do you have an add-on (not part of the motherboard) video card? If yes, please rempve it, clean the contacts and groove with a soft brush and reinstall it in place.

lleino

lleino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok--only one memory in---
the jumper is the one with 3 pins--but when I looked it was only one yesterday, so i corrected that to sit on the two pins that they originally did.
I took out the video card and cleaned and reinserted.
Now, when power up, fan stays running--computor stays running--but the beep is gone.
Monitor still say monitor going to sleep and color goes to orange.
Also while talking to HP tech they had told me the video card was the yellow card on the bottom-so i had taken that out to take to radio shack to get the
new video card. Radio Shack showed me what a video card looks like, so I reinserted the yellow card and exchanged video cards, which did nothing--so
returned the new and put back the original.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you boot the computer do you see the black screens with white writing or don't you see anything at all.

lleino

lleino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Do not see anything at all.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Disconnect the power to the computer and move the jumper so that it sits on the central pin and the-other-side pin.Reboot and report.

lleino

lleino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Moved pin and powered up and nothing--no power or anything-power cord was attached.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The whole thing is very confusing. According to what we see at this point this must be a hardware problem (power supply unit, motherboard, cpu, loose cable contacts etc.). On the other hand, what you described in your first post shows that the problem started after you downloaded a software, meaning a software origin.

I really think that you will be better off taking the computer to be diagnosed in a repair shop. They have all the necessary equipment for a step by step diagnosis.

lleino

lleino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks for trying