Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Youtube not working, can't install new flash?

• Please log in to reply

nick_mi

nick_mi

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
So I went to youtube and got this

"Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."

It gives me a link to this

http://www.adobe.com...=ShockwaveFlash

I downloaded it and installed it. Still youtube doesn't work.

I went on IE and it gave me a popup bar, I clicked install components, and it installed. I just restarted the computer(thinking maybe it needed a reboot). When I rebooted it tried to install it as a new thing, I clicked ok, it said installation was sucessfull, and then I rebooted again. Yet still youtube won't work. Help please. :)

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello nick_mi,

Let's run through some possible fixes for your flash issue (once/if the issue is fixed, leave off following the rest of the instructions):
  • Use the following utility and instructions to uninstall flash:
    How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control

Make sure you close all open windows (including IE) prior to running the utility. Once completed, use the following instructions to install flash again:
    Adobe Flash Player Download Center - Windows
  • Perform the uninstall as per the instructions above, then go to the C:\Windows\System32 directory and delete the folder called Macromed. You'll probably have to exit any web browsers you have open first. Try installing again after the folder is deleted.
  • Use the same instructions as before to uninstall the Flash Player, but this time use the following link to install it again (direct download link):
    Full Flash Player
  • In IE, go to Tools | Internet Options, select the Advanced tab, and click the Reset... button. Confirm the reset and then reinstall the Adobe Flash player.
Regards,

Ax

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
I tried untistalling and reinstalling no beans. Then I tried deleting macromed and I could delete everything but flash9e.oxc

it said that it was being used by another program or person, and no one but me is logged in, and I shut down everything from aim to mirc to msn to firefox, and still couldn't delete it.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Try downloading and installing Unlocker. You can then right-click the file and unlock it with the utility.

Regards,

Ax

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Ok tried that, deleted all the processes, and it still wouldn't delete, then it asked me if I wanted to delete it when I restart(which I said yes) restarted and still did not delete it.

I also updated to firefox2 and hoped that would work, but it didn't =(

Btw the exact phrase is

"Cannot delete flash9e.ocx: Acess is denied

Make sure the disk is not full or write proteced and that thefile is not currently in use"

And yes, I am the admin to this computer.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Try booting into safe mode (tap F8 while system loads) and deleting it from there.

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Turns out my computer is about to die, I think it's the hardware friend thinks I'm trojaned, going to get it checked out soon. Thanks for the help anyways, might be back later. Hopefully :)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
OK, well good luck then. Let us know if you need anything.