Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk Boot Failure at startup-What to do?

• Please log in to reply

Kris0707

Kris0707

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I recently cleaned and dusted the inside of my computer. I turned off the switch in the back for the power supply and when I went to turn it back on it wouldnt start up. It says DISK BOOT FAILURE and insert system disk. Is it asking for the windows cd? I dont think I have it so can anyone help me with this? Also, why did this happen? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Probably knocked the power or drive cable out. The message is telling you that it wants a drive, any drive, to boot from and it can't find it.

Kris0707

Kris0707

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
So can you let me know what to do? Is there anyway around this if I dont have the disk?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Open the computer up again. Carefully check all connections, make sure they are firmly seated. Check the power connector and IDE or SATA cable that hooks to your hard drive as they are the most likely ones to cause this kind of problem. Check the end connected to the drive and the end connected to the mother board.