Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible videocard Problem

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hi. i am building my friend a PC, and he has a GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard, a Geforce 8600GT graphics card, 2 gigs of Gskill DDR2 RAM, a 500w turbolink power supply, and a Cooler Master case. we put the PC together, and it turned on, but the monitor didnt recognize it. so we didnt even see the BIOS or anything, just black. we thought the graphics card was bad, but the fan was spinning on it.
What should we do?

Advertisements

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Make sure the ram is seated tightly. And also make sure that the monitor is plugged into the back of the computer.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
ya, we already made sure of that, and the monitor still wont recognize the video card.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Okay, I'm thinking maybe you have an insufficient power supply (meaning not powerful enough to run your graphics card) You probably should have got a 650W power supply. (Correct me if I'm wrong someone?)

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
If you want to talk to me you can come to Geeks To Go live chat and i'll help you :)

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
no, because on the box it says that the graphics card needs 350w, and even on the site, and the card turns on, so i dont think that that is a problem.
What is going on, and how can we get his monitor to recognize the videocard?

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Please join me in the live chat so we can try a few things. :)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Bench test it with minimal components, meaning no drives,cards and only 1 stick ram make sure the extra 4 pin 12V connector is connected.

If still no go try another psu, just because it powers fans don't mean its working properly

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
This was resolved in live chat, one of the sticks of ram was faulty.

Edited by AgentMES, 03 February 2008 - 03:16 PM.