Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Okay, I don't know if I should switch to NOD32 instead...

• Please log in to reply

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I've heard great reviews about NOD32, but I really need to know if it's virus detection is good and if it detects viruses on websites. Norton AV 2006 came installed with my laptop, should I switch?

Some advice?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you having problems with Norton? If not, wait until the subscription expires (usually 3 months) then switch.

Many folks (myself included) use AVG Free. Some like Avast (I don't, hate software that talks!).

PC World is iffy on NOD32, see here: PC WOrld - Eset NOD32 Review

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Don'tcompute...

Norton integrates very tightly with the operating system and uses a lot of system resources. It's difficult to remove when you want to get rid of it and difficult to install if the previous version is not completely uninstalled. The catch? It rarely uninstalls cleanly.

AVG and AVAST! are both adequate AV applications and are not nearly as tightly integrated. They have smaller system footprints than Norton or McAfee and offer good overall protection. Both auto-update and both offer real-time protection.

NOD32 is what I use. Very small system footprint. Updates several times a day and has very strong real-time protection. Of all the AV's out there, NOD32 is about the best. I wouldn't use anything else on my machines. It's basically an install it and forget it AV application.

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Nah, I haven't had any issues with Norton, I'm just looking for the MOST reliable Anti Virus I can find.

P.S. My subscription has BEEN expired for a long time.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That means you are not getting updates, right? You need to switch immediately.

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
That's bad? If I needed another subscription, would it require money? And I DO get updates, but most require a subscription.

I've also heard of Kaspersky AV, is it any better?

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Sorry about the... Eh... triple post... Having internet problems.

Edit: Never mind, they're gone now.

Edited by Don'tcompute, 30 January 2008 - 08:33 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
hehehe.........