Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista won't recognize my DVD Drives

• Please log in to reply

seanholmz

seanholmz

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have two NEC DVD RW ND-3550A drives that are unrecognized becuase Vista cannot initialize the drivers. I am not sure if they are incompatable with Vista because after some research it seems other people have had their 3550a work with vista and some have not, but unfortunately, no one seems to know how to get it to work if they don't initially after the upgrade. I upgraded to Vista Ultimate from xp home sp2, where the drives worked fine.

I also have a driver blocked due to compatabilty issues on startup. The driver is: CD Recording Software and Publisher: Roxio, Inc. and the location is unknown. I had this same compatability issue pop up when I inserted my USB Flash Driver (which has u3 software on it) into the computer. I uninstalled the U3 software from the flash drive so it no longer does this, but it still comes up on startup. Also, to my knowledge, I have never had any Roxio software on this pc.

I know it is two seperate issues, but I included them both in this thread thinking they may be somewhat related?? Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. It would be nice to be able to use the CD drives as I cannot install any software without them. Thanks in advance.

Sean

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Older versions of Roxio have issues with Vista.

Currently, the following Roxio applications work with Windows Vista:

* Easy Media Creator 9
* Easy Media Creator 10
* WinOnCD 9, 10
* Easy CD & DVD Burning ("Vista Compatible" labeled boxes only)
* RecordNow 9 (both versions)
* MyDVD 9 (both versions)

As to the drives, this particular drive seems to have issues with Windows Vista under certain other hardware configurations. Because optical units are so cheap these days, rather than troubleshooting why this drive doesn't seem to like Vista, it may be less stressful to just replace them.